DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Post by WhyNot »

Kasichich / DeWine 2020

:P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

I for one will not vote for DeWine again. I would much rather have an anti gun democrat in office that a republican General Assembly can push back against without party concerns. It may be a term with little to no movement on pro gun issues but it will be better than another term with Dewine.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

DeWine has been ''set aside'' by Ohio voters once before in the US Senate for that very same reason^^.

I do not know, but, is there a recall or early removal provision in the Ohio Constitution ? I mean, I can only stomach so much democratic parjty -speak (yea, ACTIONS) from a GOP officer holder.
The examples are not too numerous to mention....and I do not want them to become that way. Unfortunately I believe they WILL become that way.

How many of the 17+- ideas in DeWines edict will become actual?

Husted 2020 8) :idea: :?:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
rjtrains

Post by rjtrains »

where is Mary Taylor when we need her?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

bignflnut wrote:I'm guessing Chuck wasn't there, selling us out.
I'm guessing BFA had 4 people there, selling us out with great gusto.
Chuck would have been there if it were possible
If only to learn what was coming up. As it was Mr. Magoo went in my stead.
I haven’t seen the press conference on video because the Ohio channel streaming sucks when I tried earlier. My understanding is that the governor indicated he had been working with BFA and us on this proposal. I will absolutely deny that here and now, and my understanding from the invitation was that we would have a chance to have input on the proposal. I was also assured that there would be no red flag provision

Politicians, they never change
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

This one needs to change to, regular money grubbing blue collar citizen e.g. removed from office, will all legal means,as speedily as possible.

I cannot find an ORC for removal save local officials i.e. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/705.92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't mean it's not there, it may be well hidden.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck wrote: Chuck would have been there if it were possible
If only to learn what was coming up. As it was Mr. Magoo went in my stead.
My understanding is that the governor indicated he had been working with BFA and us on this proposal.
I will absolutely deny that here and now, and my understanding from the invitation was that we would have a chance to have input on the proposal. I was also assured that there would be no red flag provision

I certainly appreciate the sentiment and effort.
Good to know that OFCC wasn't complicit in this treason.
While I'd enjoy bending Magoo's ear on the event, I would suspect the OFCC leadership is formulating a response and statement on the proposals offered at DePandora's Box.

My two cents is that every range / pro RKBA group should sign a letter supporting Sheriffs openly defying any and all Red Flag Orders given by Judges based on these proposals. Further, every representative should be formally encouraged to vote down all of the Governor's proposals.

Ohio Constitution:
The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. Art. I, § 4 (enacted 1851).
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rickt wrote:I'll be amazed if any pro-gun legislation gets passed in this session considering recent events.
COLUMBUS, Ohio—In the wake of Sunday morning’s mass shooting in Dayton that killed nine, Gov. Mike DeWine said “everything’s on the table” when it comes to discussing gun-policy changes – including expanded background checks.

“We’re open to discussion,” the governor told reporters at the Ohio State Fair on Sunday afternoon. “This is a debate that certainly should take place.”
This part offers some hope it won't be too bad.
However, DeWine said, any gun reforms need to be constitutional, must be able to pass the Republican-dominated legislature, and be able to make an actual difference.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/08/ ... tings.html
Most of the gun control laws I've heard mentioned won't do squat to make any actual difference. The main reasons they are pushed is

A: so people can make themselves feel better by saying they've "done something", even if that "something" is worthless and or even harmful, and or

B: in the words of many prominent anti gunners when asked about a worthless single proposal, "Its a good first step", as in a first step toward banning guns and having laws like England has. :(
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

[quote="bignflnut"

I certainly appreciate the sentiment and effort.
Good to know that OFCC wasn't complicit in this treason.
While I'd enjoy bending Magoo's ear on the event, I would suspect the OFCC leadership is formulating a response and statement on the proposals offered at DePandora's Box.
[/quote]

We surely are working on that response at this very minute
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I sense Republicans are done in 2020. Too much of their base votes pro 2A. Maybe I’m fooling myself but these are dark times regardless of who is likely to get elected.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Klingon00 wrote:I sense Republicans are done in 2020. Too much of their base votes pro 2A. Maybe I’m fooling myself but these are dark times regardless of who is likely to get elected.
I fear that you are right.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck wrote: We surely are working on that response at this very minute
Can I assume the first publication of this response at PITP?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I sense Republicans are done in 2020. Too much of their...
....ACTING like Dems, election in, election out. Or perhaps, not really acting 8) :?:

HEY...it was central parjty decision to back dude, not mine.

Still looking for that recall clause....
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

WhyNot wrote:
I sense Republicans are done in 2020. Too much of their...
....ACTING like Dems, election in, election out. Or perhaps, not really acting 8) :?:

HEY...it was central parjty decision to back dude, not mine.

Still looking for that recall clause....

No recalls on Statewide elected officials in Ohio, or members of the GA. Local officials only. State office holders can be impeached or removed by petition and hearing.

I think this is what you are looking for

3.07 Misconduct in office - forfeiture.

3.08 Removal of public officers.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck wrote: We surely are working on that response at this very minute
This was posted August 5 (Monday after the shootings) on the OFCC facebook page:
Why we oppose [url-https://www.facebook.com/OhioGunRights/ ... =3&theater]Red Flag laws[/url]:

Red flag laws:

1. Often violate the right to due process guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment
2. Often violate the right to due process guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment
3. Often include the possibility of an ex parte hearing (i.e., the citizen to be disarmed does not attend his/her own hearing)
4. Are extremely vulnerable to abuse by personal or political adversaries of the citizen to be disarmed
5. Are extremely vulnerable to abuse by certain judges who have already demonstrated a clear bias against Second Amendment rights.
6. Are opposed by hundreds of local sheriffs and prosecutors because red flag laws are typically unconstitutional

And further: An exhaustive study conducted in 2018 by Dr. John Lott of the Crime Prevention Research Center concluded that "Red flag laws had no significant effect on murder, suicide, the number of people killed in mass public shootings, robbery, aggravated assault, or burglary." John Lott was formerly a professor at the University of Chicago and a senior research scholar at the Yale Law School.
Give this lady 5 minutes and she will demonstrate how these laws violate nearly each of the Amendments in the Bill of Rights (and the mirrored State Constitution Rights). Of course the entire clip is recommended.

As I have yet to see the Official OFCC response, I pray that this input is helpful to the process.