UBC ballot initiative filed with Ohio Attorney General

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: UBC ballot initiative filed with Ohio Attorney General

Post by bignflnut »

From rickt's link:
Yost had said the group’s summary said the law would create universal background checks, failing to describe the exceptions in the proposed law. Dennis Willard, a group spokesman, said the new summary language describes those exceptions, including gifts among family members, sales or transfers of antique firearms and transfers to law enforcement and active military members. (Click here to read the full proposed law.)

"The people of Ohio want background checks for gun safety to reduce violence and save lives. For this reason it was relatively easy to collect the additional signatures to put this language in front of the Ohio Attorney General," Willard said in a statement.

The attorney general’s office has received the revised language, and has begun the process of reviewing it, said Dominic Binkley, a Yost spokesman.

Ohioans for Gun Safety is seeking what’s called an initiated statute, a process through which citizens can bypass state lawmakers by directly voting on laws. If Yost’s office and the Ohio Ballot Board approve the language, the group then would have until 10 days before a legislative session to gather 132,887 signatures from registered voters in at least 44 of Ohio’s 88 counties.

State lawmakers then would have four months to consider the measure. If the Republican-controlled legislature doesn’t pass it, supporters could collect another 132,887 signatures to place the proposed law change before Ohio voters during the next election.
Recalling previous victory on the infringement of background checks, they're coming back to the well. Now they're willing to bypass the legislature doing the heavy lifting of getting 267,700 signatures in 44 counties.

But OBTW, there are exceptions to the "universal" concept....so they'll be back.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

COLUMBUS, Ohio— A proposed ballot issue to require background checks for most gun sales in Ohio cleared an initial hurdle Friday, as proposed summary language and an initial round of petition signatures were certified.

Attorney General Dave Yost said in a release Friday that he approved Ohioans For Gun Safety’s proposed summary language – a succinct explanation of the proposal provided to voters asked to sign a petition supporting the measure – is “a fair and truthful representation of the proposed law,” though (as is normal) he didn’t weigh in on whether he supports the idea. County elections officials also certified that the group collected more than the 1,000 valid petition signatures, according to Yost’s office.

The measure now goes before the Ohio Ballot Board, which will decide Monday whether the proposal only contains one proposed constitutional amendment. If the Ballot Board gives its OK, supporters then must gather 132,887 signatures from registered voters in at least 44 of Ohio’s 88 counties. Proponents are aiming to put the item on the statewide ballot in 2020 or 2021.
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/07/ ... sales.html
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Is this the official language still?

http://ohioansforgunsafety.com/wp-conte ... Text-3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the very top of the slippery slope.
If it becomes law, we'll start hearing about the "loopholes" in it, how it's unenforceable without a registry, family members need background checks too, etc.
Then they'll start pushing legislators to close them.

We need to stop this
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The firearms dealer may charge a fee that reflects the fair market value of theadministrative costs and effort incurred by the firearms dealer for complying with the requirements of division (D) of this section
And who detirmines that? :roll: I've seen dealers want anywhere from $10 to $70 for a check on a shipped firearm. (although I'm not sure if the $10 FFL guy is stil in business)
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Ohioans for Gun Safety was formed in 2017. Their IRS Form 990 states gross receipts of below $50,000 for both 2017 and 2018. Unless sugar daddy Bloomberg shows up, they do not have the financial wherewithal to collect the necessary signatures.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Funding, little funding, or no funding. Seems they are doing fairly well at signature gathering so far.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WhyNot wrote:Funding, little funding, or no funding. Seems they are doing fairly well at signature gathering so far.
While I certainly don't minimize the group's effort there is a substantial difference between getting 1,000 valid signatures from across the state and getting on the ballot with 264,000 valid signatures including at least 1.5% (or maybe it's 3%) of the people who voted in the 2018 election from 44 different counties.

It's well known that if you're an all-volunteer outfit it's almost impossible to get on the ballot in Ohio. Don't discount this crew yet, they'll no doubt get the professional support they need.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

A measure that would expand background checks on gun sales moved forward yet again after a thumbs-up from the Ohio Ballot Board.

The five-member panel unanimously approved the language of a proposal from Ohioans for Gun Safety that would effectively require background checks on all gun sales in Ohio.

---

Now that the ballot board has approved the proposed law, Ohioans for Gun Safety needs to collect 135,000 valid signatures of registered Ohio voters to send the proposal to the General Assembly. The legislature then has four months to deal with the proposal; however, it likely will let the proposal sit because Republicans in the legislature have recently pushed for pro-gun rights legislation.

After that four-month period, the group can start a new petition to get the proposed measure on the ballot. Another 135,000 valid signatures would be needed.
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190722/ ... ition-next
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I CERTAINLY hope that ANY new firearms legislation or otherwise (e.g. initiative) has a mandatory sunset clause similar to the AWB of the 90s.
I speak of both state level and federal but obviously state is easier and this current topic.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

ALL legislation should have a sunset clause.
WhyNot wrote:I CERTAINLY hope that ANY new firearms legislation or otherwise (e.g. initiative) has a mandatory sunset clause similar to the AWB of the 90s.
I speak of both state level and federal but obviously state is easier and this current topic.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The articles of incorporation for Ohioans for Gun Safety list a local actor/lawyer named Benjamin Franklin Crawford Wallace as the statutory agent, and Agent M LLC as the incorporator.

The law firm of McTigue & Columbo (formerly McTigue & McGinness) is the incorporator of Agent M LLC.

The address for Ohioans for Gun Safety is the same as McTigue & Columbo.

With a potential connection to "Hollywood" and their looney liberal money, and a local liberal law firm specializing in election law (including initiatives and referendums), this group poses a SERIOUS threat.
MyWifeSaidYes
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Poll published today.

https://poll.qu.edu/ohio/release-detail?ReleaseID=3634

13. Do you support or oppose stricter gun laws in Ohio?

Support 48%
Oppose 46
DK/NA 7

14. Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?

Support 90%
Oppose 8
DK/NA 2
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

rickt wrote:Poll published today.

14. Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?

Support 90%
Oppose 8
DK/NA 2
Columbus Dispatch mentioned the 90% part. Very discouraging.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190726/ ... und-checks
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

QNA: Do you support changing the Ohio Constitution via ballot initiatives on what seems to be, every other issue?

(QNA: Question Never Asked)

In any event, our work in edjumacation is cut out for us.

Perhaps NOW would be a good time for the NRA to do some GOOD PR WORK, and pump the airwaves in Ohio with +++ media
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

WhyNot wrote:Perhaps NOW would be a good time for the NRA to do some GOOD PR WORK, and pump the airwaves in Ohio with +++ media
Considering the NRA's financial difficulties and the internal political turmoil going on inside the NRA right now, I won't be holding my breath on that.