Nothing to see here, "it's not about guns"...

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Nothing to see here, "it's not about guns"...

Post by bignflnut »

The Columbus City Attorney and U.S. Attorney announced three indictments Tuesday as part of a new effort to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers.

Under Columbus and federal law, it’s illegal for people convicted of domestic violence offenses to possess a firearm or ammunition.

City Attorney Zach Klein explains a new initiative will help push some of those cases to federal court where prosecutors can seek far stiffer penalties.

“This partnership will help law enforcement crack down on abusers with weapons,” Klein explains. “And that’s what this is about—it’s not about guns. It’s about violent people who possess guns.”

Oh the 1968 GCA and it's legal fiction of "Prohibited Persons" again! Wheeeeeeeeeee.

How many "pro-RKBA voters" will simultaneously applaud the notion of "Prohibited Persons" and decry Local/ State militias? (Where's my Lee Greenwood CD? The 4th of July is coming up...)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Glock Rock

Re: Nothing to see here, "it's not about guns"...

Post by Glock Rock »

https://www.risenow.us/campaigns/zerousa
ZeroUSA is dedicated to ensuring zero lives are lost to preventable gun violence. We engage our country’s policymaking process by composing and passing laws that help end America’s gun violence epidemic while maintaining the Second Amendment as a guiding principle of our country.
Passage of Extreme Risk Protective Orders
Create legislation around disarming domestic abusers
"end America’s gun violence epidemic while maintaining the Second Amendment" yea right.

These idyllic teens are a force. Must be resisted.
JamesLPlummer

Post by JamesLPlummer »

I see nothing wrong with people convicted of domestic abuse not being allowed to have firearms. If you want your guns, don't beat your partner, I think that's simple.

However my problem is the potential for people lying about being abused, but that's a separate issue entirely.
"If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens." -Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JamesLPlummer wrote:I see nothing wrong with people convicted of domestic abuse not being allowed to have firearms. If you want your guns, don't beat your partner, I think that's simple.

However my problem is the potential for people lying about being abused, but that's a separate issue entirely.
Having practiced law for 30 years before I retired, I have come to believe that the domestic violence laws are some of the most abused ones on the books.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JamesLPlummer

Post by JamesLPlummer »

schmieg wrote:Having practiced law for 30 years before I retired, I have come to believe that the domestic violence laws are some of the most abused ones on the books.
I'm sure they are, which is a problem that needs fixing. Same with false-rape allegations.
"If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens." -Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers