WHIO article on red flag laws

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

WHIO article on red flag laws

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/team-co ... R2CWQLnQL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had commentary and questions but I didn't mark it and copy it before I tried to hit submit and it got wiped out during a re log in. :( I did have the link saved fortunitely.

It claims that in Indiana gun owners eventually (whatever that means) get their guns back 50% of the time, but why? I mean, if I was a elected official, (judge) and I wanted to cover my butt, if it was a case a he said someone else (maybe someone with an ax to grind?) said, unless the gun owner could prove that they're not a danger, why would I want to err on the side of the gun owner, when it could potentially come back to bite me later if I'm wrong?

Also, suppose someone is truly a danger, how is merely taking the guns they currently have away but not doing anything to the person doing anything but a very temporary measure? Look at CA NY NJ Chicago, etc. Just because someone can't "legally" get a gun doesn't mean they can't illegally get one. The dangerous person might be crazy but it doesn't mean they're stupid either. My wife's family and I were almost a potential victim of this sort of nonsense a few yrs ago with a crazy person just out of prison. He had allegedly made a mass murder "hit list" and obtained 3 guns illegally fairly easily before he got caught. In our case the law and the local police was no help at all, we just got lucky and had a fortunite incident. :) (or in his case an unfortunite one) Potential victims of crime shouldn't however have to depend on luck.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: WHIO article on red flag laws

Post by WhyNot »

Unstirred milk allows the cream to rise....somewhere

From the article...
Even with an endorsement of then-Governor John Kasich, Henne's bill came under heavy criticism, including threatening voicemail messages from critics.

Henne played one of the messages for the I-Team in which the caller accused him of being a "traitor to this country."

"If you vote yes on that bill tomorrow we'll make sure you never get elected again," the caller went on to say. "We'll vote you out. We'll go everywhere we can."
Soooo..... according to the WHIO staff, someone merely promising ''political pressure'' on a candidate is considered.....threatening voice messages?

FYI the alledged ''threatening message'' is in the video clip at the 2:23 mark. Sounded straight forward ''if you do this , this will be a political consequence'' style statement (minus one MINOR curse word)
The Indiana law allows the gun owner to go to court within two weeks
Well, isn't that awfully terribly superiorly nice of them 8) .
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:Unstirred milk allows the cream to rise....somewhere

From the article...
Even with an endorsement of then-Governor John Kasich, Henne's bill came under heavy criticism, including threatening voicemail messages from critics.

Henne played one of the messages for the I-Team in which the caller accused him of being a "traitor to this country."

"If you vote yes on that bill tomorrow we'll make sure you never get elected again," the caller went on to say. "We'll vote you out. We'll go everywhere we can."
Soooo..... according to the WHIO staff, someone merely promising ''political pressure'' on a candidate is considered.....threatening voice messages?

FYI the alledged ''threatening message'' is in the video clip at the 2:23 mark. Sounded straight forward ''if you do this , this will be a political consequence'' style statement (minus one MINOR curse word)
The Indiana law allows the gun owner to go to court within two weeks
Well, isn't that awfully terribly superiorly nice of them 8) .
I noticed that as well when I saw it on TV. I personally wouldn't have used the profanity but basically the caller "threatened" to do what essentially any poltical group or organization could do if the politican doesn't vote the way they want, from Planned Parenthood to Right to life to the NEA to any union to the NRA, GOA, and all the gun control groups, etc. In case the former rep and WHIO is not aware of it, It's called the democratic process. If a political organization did not inform their members of how a politican voted or what legislation they were introducing, they would not be a very good organization for their members. In fact, WHIO and other TV stations air a ton of political ads from both the right and left wings around election time that essentially do the same thing.
JamesLPlummer

Post by JamesLPlummer »

Red flag laws are an extremely dangerous gateway and should be strongly opposed, at least in the forms that they have been implemented thus far.

It's giving the state the authority to take guns away from people who might commit a crime. Might, not has. The fact you can appeal it is irrelevant. What other rights are you willing to surrender, so long as you have a chance to beg for them back later?
"If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens." -Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers