Students for Concealed Carry on Campus lawsuit..

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus lawsuit..

Post by Brian D. »

Yes, after six or seven years, a settlement was reached between SCCC and the eight hundred pound gorilla, OSU.

By my understanding, under this settlement, students will now be able to keep lawfully owned firearms locked in the trunks of their cars while parked on campus.

Six or seven years to reach that point? Well zipadee-doodah! Wonder what the legal bill side for the plaintiffs totalled out at?

Of course it doesn't matter what OSU spent, our tax dollars paid for that, right?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus lawsuit..

Post by WY_Not »

Not to mention all the tuition that could have gone towards, you know, actually teaching the students. :evil:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

GREAT JOB FOLKS.......oh wait
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm wondering if Students for Concealed Carry (or whoever the Plaintiff was) started to run out of money to only get that as a settlement.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

A partial positive step is still forward momentum. :mrgreen:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:A partial positive step is still forward momentum. :mrgreen:
But at that rate, lawful carry on campus (which actually helps protect good people) might still be decades away, if it ever happens.

********************************************************************************
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

If I understand this correctly this effectively removes OSU sanctions against students for simply following state law. Doesn't sound like much but it is a serious crack in the ivory tower. Probably about all that could be accomplished at this point.

Now we need to push hard for carry in government facilities including universities.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

WestonDon wrote:Now we need to push hard for carry in government facilities including universities.
Ding ding. Winner winner - chiken dinner.
This impacts countless people on a daily basis.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Ohio State quietly modified both student and staff policies to allow vehicle storage over the past little while; does anyone think they would have done that without the law suit?
In any case, I do believe that removing the ability for campuses to decide this and making it generally legal as it is in some other states now is the right thing to do. I just wonder if we can actually get it done now that the GA took the step of leaving it up to campuses in one of the last few years. After all, they basically gave them the power to allow it, taking that choice away from them might have been easier if they never gave it to them in the first place.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wish we'd have done more open carry informational walks over this period of time, PB. And not just on OSU campuses. Smaller ones in the neighborhoods where the Board of Directors live too, with our side taking videos to feed to the media. (Wonder how many university bigshots live in gated communities?)
That sort of tactic, ostentatious and impolite as it was, got licensed concealed carry passed quicker than Statehouse grassroots efforts alone.

techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Brian D. wrote:I wish we'd have done more open carry informational walks over this period of time, PB. And not just on OSU campuses. Smaller ones in the neighborhoods where the Board of Directors live too, with our side taking videos to feed to the media. (Wonder how many university bigshots live in gated communities?)
That sort of tactic, ostentatious and impolite as it was, got licensed concealed carry passed quicker than Statehouse grassroots efforts alone.
I wasn't active during that time - when I came to be a gun owner and concealed carrier we already had the law, so I will have to defer to those that were involved at that time. How did that process work, did it require constant walks, and how many people were at them? My concern now is that it doesn't feel like there is really that much support for campus carry in Ohio. Even when we take polls about it here, it gets a pretty small percentage vote in terms of priority...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Those walks had 50 or more people. We had a few, with more planned for the gated communities the Senate President and House Speaker lived in at the time. Also the Governor's mansion.

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D. wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:A partial positive step is still forward momentum. :mrgreen:
But at that rate, lawful carry on campus (which actually helps protect good people) might still be decades away, if it ever happens.
It is all about momentum, your side is either moving forward or backwards on the state level. There is no standing still. And there is no perfect. The Antis have figured this out too.

Look at the recent backsteps in Washington state, Colorado and other states (Universal Background / ie registration Checks, Red Flag Laws). Then note that every Dem running for President is aggressively Anti-2A (which is new in that they aren’t hiding it). Overall, the Pro-2A side is losing momentum on an overall national basis, and a big fight is brewing that no one on our side seems to see.

Hence, a small positive step is a good thing.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

From what I understand the only reason the university changed their policy was because of parking lot carry which removed any discretion they may have thought they had, and further it imposed civil penalties for refusing to comply.

Anybody been able to see the official OSU policy to confirm?
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

techguy85 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I wish we'd have done more open carry informational walks over this period of time, PB. And not just on OSU campuses. Smaller ones in the neighborhoods where the Board of Directors live too, with our side taking videos to feed to the media. (Wonder how many university bigshots live in gated communities?)
I wasn't active during that time - when I came to be a gun owner and concealed carrier we already had the law, so I will have to defer to those that were involved at that time. How did that process work, did it require constant walks, and how many people were at them? My concern now is that it doesn't feel like there is really that much support for campus carry in Ohio. Even when we take polls about it here, it gets a pretty small percentage vote in terms of priority...
WOW hard to believe it as been over 15 years since Vernon Ferrier organized the first one in Northside!
There are some photos and videos from the original Open Carry Walks here: http://www.the-eatons.com/gallery/v/Joe ... /Ohio_CCW/

OFCC even had a plane in the air with a banner at the Governor's Mansion in Bexley walk.
I recognize many long time members in the photos, but Brian D. must have been avoiding my camera :) (But he was captured in the wild at the first Party in the Park!)

JLE