H.B. 156: Grant nonprofit immunity for allowing carry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

H.B. 156: Grant nonprofit immunity for allowing carry

Post by rickt »

H. B. No. 156 - Representative Schaffer (R).
Cosponsors: Representatives Becker (R), Lang (R), Hood (R), Ginter (R), Seitz (R).
To amend section 2923.126 of the Revised Code to grant civil immunity to nonprofit corporations and persons associated with them for certain injuries, deaths, or losses resulting from the carrying of handguns.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 133-HB-156
M-Quigley

Re: H.B. 156: Grant nonprofit immunity for allowing carry

Post by M-Quigley »

For some reason I couldn't view the legislation after getting to the website. What is the purpose or need of this legislation? Don't businesses and organizations already have immunity if they allow CC now?

I realize it says "persons" , does that mean they want immunity for their employee also if the employee does something negligent with a firearm?
djthomas

Re: H.B. 156: Grant nonprofit immunity for allowing carry

Post by djthomas »

I wondered the same, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that the current exemption only protects private employers. While many non-profits are private employers there are some that are 100% volunteer and have no employees or even contractors.

I'm pleased to see that the bill provides immunity for a licensee's actions and for the non-profit's decision to allow a licensee to bring a firearm, but does not provide immunity for the decision to prohibit carry. Now if only they could remove that part from the private employer section too...

If this bill gets any hearings I'm sure there will be pressure from various non-profits to give them the "decision to prohibit" exemption as well. It bears watching.