Sub HB 228 problem correction

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Sub HB 228 problem correction

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

rickt wrote:Eight Democrats and one Republican (Peggy Lehner) voted against HB 86.
Peggy Lehner is term limited. Rep. Niraj Antani has already announced he'll be running for her seat, and Rep. Jim Butler may also run but hasn't announced. Both are very pro-2A.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

rickt wrote:The bill just passed the senate.
Yep. I received an email earlier today from my Senator (Robert McColley) telling me that welcome news.

I made certain to thank him for his support .
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
rickt wrote:Eight Democrats and one Republican (Peggy Lehner) voted against HB 86.
Peggy Lehner is term limited. Rep. Niraj Antani has already announced he'll be running for her seat, and Rep. Jim Butler may also run but hasn't announced. Both are very pro-2A.
I first met Niraj at The Ohio State University indoor range.
GWC

Post by GWC »

How can THE OSU have an indoor range if they don't allow guns on campus?
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

GWC wrote:How can THE OSU have an indoor range if they don't allow guns on campus?
They had a nice indoor range back in the 60's that was underneath the fieldhouse. I think they have since built a new one.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190311/ ... ---on-guns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saying his signature represented “a reaffirmation of the Second Amendment,” Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signed his first bill into law Monday afternoon.

House Bill 86, which corrects a drafting error in gun-related legislation previously passed by the Republican-controlled General Assembly, took effect immediately as an emergency measure.

The law corrects inadvertent wording that included firearms with an overall length of 26 inches — taking in many rifles and shotguns — as “dangerous ordnance” under federal law.

Groups such as the Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Ohio Gun Collectors Association, whose leaders attended the bill-signing ceremony, lobbied lawmakers to swiftly correct the mistake.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Well done everyone!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It all started right here on our forums.
XPD54 sounded the alarm evening of the day the bill was passed, and Justashooter found where the words were moved the very next morning.
Seems odd that was over three months ago, and this was "emergency" legislation.
Very interesting how it all played out, with the veto and everything.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
GWC

Post by GWC »

Thanks to all who got the bill passed and the correction emergency bill passed.

This has gone on for so long that I don't remember what was in the final bill as passed and becoming law on the 28th.

What law improvements made it into the final bill.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Here's my synopsis:

- The big one for Ohio gun owners: It shifts the burden of proof onto to the prosecutor in self-defense cases, as is the case in all 49 other states.
- It strengthens ORC 9.68 firearms law preemption making it easier for groups like OFCC to have standing to sue, and allows them to recover reasonable costs in addition to attorney fees.
- Eliminates the requirement to post no-gun signs in statutory locations which have authorized the carrying of firearms. (In other words, fixes the screw-up from the 131st GA that allows government facilities and other statutory locations to permit carry, but still required them to post no-guns signs...) As a side-effect, it requires churches and other houses of worship that do not allow carry to post signs - just like every other business in Ohio.
- Essentially makes "straw" purchases illegal and prosecutable under Ohio law.
- Expands the definition of "Law Enforcement Officer" to include corrections officers (and others?) and expands the places where Law Enforcement Officers can carry concealed handguns while not officially within work hours or officially on the clock.
- Removes the requirement to carry a 2nd form of ID along with your CHL when carrying concealed (but of course you still need to have your Drivers License when operating a motor vehicle.)
- With the fix provided by 133 GA HB 86, legalizes Shockwaves and similar firearms by adding an exception to the definition of Dangerous Ordnance for any firearm over 26" in length that is not regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
GWC

Post by GWC »

Thanks justashooter ,

I agree the burden of proof is the biggest w@ in.
But the others are good improvements as well