POLL: 2019-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Vote for up to three items. Votes can be changed until 12-31-2019

Poll ended at Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Complete repeal of notification
20%
Repeal notification to "only if asked"
8%
Decriminalize private CPZs, one must refuse to leave premises to get trespassing violation
19%
Constitutional carry
6%
Eliminate government CPZs, require lockers for secure government buildings for licensed carriers to secure gun while inside
7%
Campus carry
3%
Church carry
3%
Standardize "No Gun Signs"
3%
Allow non-lethal forms of concealed self defense, collapsible batons, brass knuckles, etc.
2%
Allow alternative forms of concealed self defense, knives
8%
Parking lot uniformity
1%
Stand you ground
19%

Total votes: 293

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

POLL: 2019-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by Chuck »

Please vote for the three most important legislative items you want us to pursue in the 2019-2020 Ohio Legislative Session.

Correcting last sessions mistake is a must do and therefore is not on the list.

You can change your votes at any time for one year, however, we have been asked to submit our wish list before the parties caucus on January 14, 2019

If you have something else you want voted on, let me know
*It's really weird typing the year "2020" for the first times
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: POLL: 2018-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm surprised Stand Your Ground didn't make the list.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: POLL: 2019-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by Chuck »

it's on there
LOL
:oops:

thanks!!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Jeff Kempf

Post by Jeff Kempf »

"Correcting Last Sessions Mistakes" seems like the chorus to a song. Being repeated every year for the last ten years. It's like things are being done wrong on purpose so that the lobbying groups ( BFA & OGO ) have a perpetual source of income.
How did the Shockwave wording get screwed up? Word is that what was supposed to be a fix (touted as such by BFA) isn't a fix.
J.K.K.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Jeff Kempf wrote:How did the Shockwave wording get screwed up? Word is that what was supposed to be a fix (touted as such by BFA) isn't a fix.
The Senate committee that gutted the bill managed to move the wording to exempt them up into the definition. BFA was saying it was an LSC screw-up and it could be fixed, but we had doubts. Now they've admitted it will take a new bill - so good luck getting it passed & signed before HB228 takes effect - and at that, they'll have to bypass the normal 90-day period for it to take effect and explicitly make it take effect along with HB228.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
williaty

Post by williaty »

Looking at the results so far, I'm actually surprised how many people are voting for pie-in-the-sky/ideal-in-theory ideas rather than real world stuff that affects us every day. Standardizing signs (because boy have I seen some stupid ones!), notification if asked, decriminalizing CPZs, and campus carry affect situations that hundreds, if not thousands, of Ohio CHL-holders encounter every single day. Constitutional carry, stand your ground, etc are all great ideals in light of a firm support of the 2A, but affect daily life a lot less. Pretty much every one of us have to try to spot the increasingly small and weirdly located stickers on the door of very business we visit (and become a criminal if we accidentally miss one) on a daily basis but very, very few of us ever will have a self-defense case that hinges on the presence or absence of an Ohio stand your ground law.

I'd rather work for the things I use today, today and work on the ideals tomorrow.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

As of November 30, 2018:
Employment Category
Employees of Cabinet Agencies: 27,315
Employees of Correction Agencies: 13,278
Total Employees in Agencies
Under Control of the Office of the
Governor
Employees of Boards and
Commissions Appointed by the
Governor
Elected Officials and Employees of
Other Agencies, Boards and
Commissions
Total Employees 51,453
Unclassified Employees: 9,779
Classified Employees: 41,674
Bargaining Unit Employees: 35,142
Exempt Employees: 16,311

I am surprised that the gov't building category isn't higher. Employees (not including Deputy Registrar locations which are typically contractors to my understanding) + the public that goes into state building on a daily basis.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

- Crap, my above post was only state employee related, so it doesn't include County employees.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

And at Ohio State main campus alone, ~42,000 employees and ~70,000 students...
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

techguy85 wrote:And at Ohio State main campus alone, ~42,000 employees (most of whom don't want it) and ~70,000 students (most of whom aren't old enough to take advantage of it) ...
My admittedly snarky edit.

Here's a big problem with pushing for either SYG or Campus Carry in the upcoming session: It's going to get a ton of media attention from the wavy-the-bloody-flag types. A ton. Both of those are things that will get out the vote on their side in the upcoming election cycle. That's why IMO 2020 is a bad year to push for either of those items.

Realistically the chance of getting either of them in Ohio this year is low, and the chance of those items bringing out enough voters to shift close races is, IMO, a real possibility. Look how close the elections were this past year.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Here's a big problem with pushing for either SYG or Campus Carry in the upcoming session: It's going to get a ton of media attention from the wavy-the-bloody-flag types. A ton. Both of those are things that will get out the vote on their side in the upcoming election cycle. That's why IMO 2020 is a bad year to push for either of those items.
If now, two years from the next election, isn't a good time, then when *IS* a good time? Never, since we are always looking to the next election?

To be honest, if we could get the OGA to actually work on it and get it passed early this year, the furor will have died down before the next election and IMO will have minimal if any impact on the election. Of course, the reality is if they do anything with it this session, they will wait till lame duck (again), grind it up like sausage (again), remove the most important parts (again) and screw something up (again). It's the Ohio way, after all.
NRA Life Member

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

JustaShooter wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:Here's a big problem with pushing for either SYG or Campus Carry in the upcoming session: It's going to get a ton of media attention from the wavy-the-bloody-flag types. A ton. Both of those are things that will get out the vote on their side in the upcoming election cycle. That's why IMO 2020 is a bad year to push for either of those items.
If now, two years from the next election, isn't a good time, then when *IS* a good time? Never, since we are always looking to the next election?

To be honest, if we could get the OGA to actually work on it and get it passed early this year, the furor will have died down before the next election and IMO will have minimal if any impact on the election. Of course, the reality is if they do anything with it this session, they will wait till lame duck (again), grind it up like sausage (again), remove the most important parts (again) and screw something up (again). It's the Ohio way, after all.
Yes, enough of passing bills only during the first two months and last two weeks of the two year term. They should work for us, not the elections.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JustaShooter wrote:
You're right. I got confused with the new year and all the Dems announcing their candidacy and thought the elections were this year. My bad.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

What is the difference between completely getting rid of notification or just when asked? If an officer asks if you have a weapon, are you not required (or atleast it be rather smart to prevent suddenly being on the news as a dead guy/gal) to admit such?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

ArmedAviator wrote:What is the difference between completely getting rid of notification or just when asked? If an officer asks if you have a weapon, are you not required (or atleast it be rather smart to prevent suddenly being on the news as a dead guy/gal) to admit such?
This is how I interpret it, because otherwise you're right and it's a silly option:
Getting rid = no requirement to proactively notify at all. Of course if an officer for some reason asks "do you have any weapons" you either have to answer honestly or refuse to answer.
Just when asked = When asked for other identification. From my reviews of state laws this is how the majority of states work. There are very few states that work like Ohio that require you to blurt out something along the lines of "I have a gun" when an officer starts walking towards you (because, let's be honest, it's pretty dumb even if you don't use those words -- see Philando Castile), but most do require you to present your CHL/CWP when an officer asks to see your ID.