OFCC agenda for the 133 GA

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: OFCC agenda for the 133 GA

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:LEO organizations successfully stopped HB 142 this session. All the gun rights groups will have to come up with some kind of coordinated strategy to overcome that opposition or the exact same thing will happen next session.
LEO didn't stop it.
Buckeye Firearms and the National Rifle Association stopped it, by watering it down over our objections.
LEO organizations STILL opposed it, (with the exception of Buckeye Sheriff Association, who don't favor it at all)
When we were unable to get it restored in the Senate, we asked for it to die.
So I suppose one could say WE killed it.

Do you wish we hadn't?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Several senators are asking us this morning to have our "wish list" to them by their first caucus on January 14.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck wrote:Several senators are asking us this morning to have our "wish list" to them by their first caucus on January 14.
They owe gun owners, don't they?

Swing for the fences. Please stop playing at the edges of this terrible paradigm.
Defy the Gun Free Zone outrage just as so many states are defying the Pot dictates.
End Notification and this whole diseased system by getting Constitutional Carry.
Stand Your Ground / Castle Doctrine
Legalize Freedom

A constitutional Amendment against ERPOs would be a nice bonus.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Chuck wrote:LEO didn't stop it.
Buckeye Firearms and the National Rifle Association stopped it, by watering it down over our objections.
What was their motivation for watering it down?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:
Chuck wrote:LEO didn't stop it.
What was their motivation for watering it down?
Publicly they (BFA) said the usual, "baby steps" approach is best, Kasich would veto it, there is no need for it.
The NRA likes BIG GOVERNMENT solutions to government problems; they think notification ought to be the law, just not as heavily punished as Ohio law.
Ain't activism fun?

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

bignflnut wrote:
Chuck wrote:Several senators are asking us this morning to have our "wish list" to them by their first caucus on January 14.
They owe gun owners, don't they?

Swing for the fences. Please stop playing at the edges of this terrible paradigm.
Defy the Gun Free Zone outrage just as so many states are defying the Pot dictates.
End Notification and this whole diseased system by getting Constitutional Carry.
Stand Your Ground / Castle Doctrine
Legalize Freedom

A constitutional Amendment against ERPOs would be a nice bonus.
Absolutely. Hard and fast in 2019. Crack BFA right in the face.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Chuck wrote:What would you guys like to see us try to get passed during the next legislative session?
We managed to stop the weakening of notification repeal, and I want to go for it again this time, but what else?
I personally like the previously mentioned 'swing for the fences' approach..
Including but not limited banning CPZs - maybe worded differently though- ie. Allow firearms in government buildings for employees and the public. Once that flies, there's the departmental policies that need updated accordingly.
Are there exceptions? Not as far as I am concerned.

As far as any nay-sayers ' right to feel safe ', that one isn't enumerated in the Bill of Rights specifically, but the 2nd Ammendment is.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Subject any person, regardless of who they are, to the same restrictions as CHL holders while guarding elected officials. If we cannot use firearms to protect our families in certain places, why do we pay people to protect elected officials and their families in those places? Actually, this would make a good Constitutional amendment.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I would like to be able to carry an expandable baton. In certain circumstances I would like to have the option to use a less than lethal, but effective, instrument in self defense or in defense of another. If someone attacks me, I cannot crack him in the knee with a baton. That would be illegal, and I would be arrested for doing so. I have to pull out my 44 magnum and blast him in order to avoid arrest, prosecution and imprisonment.

In 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Massachusetts law prohibiting stun guns. See: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 8_aplc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; after quoting Heller:
“the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding[.]”
Concurring, Justice Alito had this to say:
"[T]he right to bear other weapons is “no answer” to a ban on the possession of protected arms. Heller, 554 U. S., at 629. Moreover, a weapon is an effective means of self-defense only if one is prepared to use it, and it is presumptuous to tell Caetano she should have been ready to shoot the father of her two young children if she wanted to protect herself. Courts should not be in the business of demanding that citizens use more force for self-defense than they are comfortable wielding. ¶ Countless people may have reservations about using deadly force, whether for moral, religious, or emotional reasons—or simply out of fear of killing the wrong person. See Brief for Arming Women Against Rape & Endangerment as Amicus Curiae 4–5. “Self-defense,” however, “is a basic right.” McDonald, 561 U. S., at 767. I am not prepared to say that a State may force an individual to choose between exercising that right and following her conscience, at least where both can be accommodated by a weapon already in widespread use across the Nation."
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brass knuckles too?
Ain't activism fun?

zeko

Post by zeko »

I liked HB233 and would like to see it or something similar be re-submitted. If that's not feasible, requiring uniform CPZ notification (a la South Carolina) would be good to have. If signs are to have the force of law, it is not unreasonable to have stronger requirements for them.

Stand Your Ground would also be good . . . I'll leave it to the judgment of others as to how feasible it is.

Zeko
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

zeko wrote:I liked HB233 and would like to see it or something similar be re-submitted. If that's not feasible, requiring uniform CPZ notification (a la South Carolina) would be good to have. If signs are to have the force of law, it is not unreasonable to have stronger requirements for them.

Stand Your Ground would also be good . . . I'll leave it to the judgment of others as to how feasible it is.

Zeko

I can get on board the standard signage thing. Now, I don't agree with going with something large and obnoxious. I feel doing that will A) make the bill never pass and B) truly accomplish nothing as the trespass law still exists and I feel even with a signage requirement, a private business still has the right to tell anyone to leave, and failure to comply is criminal trespass. So at that rate, the sign is a moot point. However, a standard 8.5x11 size sign with standard wording to get the point across may be helpful.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Chuck wrote:Brass knuckles too?
And switch blades. So I can open a bag of peanuts while driving. The only reason these things are illegal is because they were made to look scary in movies and to disarm the Black Panthers.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
zeko wrote:I liked HB233 and would like to see it or something similar be re-submitted. If that's not feasible, requiring uniform CPZ notification (a la South Carolina) would be good to have. If signs are to have the force of law, it is not unreasonable to have stronger requirements for them.

Zeko

I can get on board the standard signage thing. Now, I don't agree with going with something large and obnoxious. I feel doing that will A) make the bill never pass and B) truly accomplish nothing as the trespass law still exists and I feel even with a signage requirement, a private business still has the right to tell anyone to leave, and failure to comply is criminal trespass. So at that rate, the sign is a moot point. However, a standard 8.5x11 size sign with standard wording to get the point across may be helpful.
A private business that is open to the public cannot tell anyone to leave for any reason. It cannot tell someone to leave because they are Irish or African or Republican or Democrat or Christian or Muslim, and they certainly cannot post a sign that says "No Africans" that has the force of law to compel law enforcement to arrest and imprison any African who dares to enter.

So why do we allow this treatment for anyone who decides that they are responsible to defend their families without having to wait for the government to do it? The second amendment is written stronger than the constitutional provisions relied upon for the courts to prohibit businesses from discriminating against Irish, Africans, Republicans, Democrats, Christians, Muslim etc... Justice Alito very clearly stated in the McDonald case in 2010 that the fundamental right protected by the second amendment cannot be relegated to a second class right and must be afforded at least equal protection compared to other constitutionally protected rights. I thought HB 233 was a good compromise.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Uniformity in all parking lots.

2921.36—the grounds of a detention facility or of an institution, office building, or other place that is under the control of the department of mental health and addiction services, the department of developmental disabilities, the department of youth services, or the department of rehabilitation and correction:

• weapon or dangerous ordnance in question (handguns, rifles and shotguns included) was being transported in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, that it was not on the actor's person, and, if the weapon or dangerous ordnance in question was a firearm, that it was unloaded and was being carried in a closed package, box, or case or in a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle.

2923.122—School property or property where a school is having an event:
• No rifles or shotguns in vehicles
• Handguns permitted in vehicles if the following applies
o Person has a CHL
o If person leaves the vehicle, the handgun stays in the vehicle, and the person locks the vehicle.

2923.1210—private property:
• Any firearm can be in a car on private property if:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

Can we have one method for all of these parking lots? Preferably a method that does not require me to stop a block before the parking lot and unload my gun and stop right after exiting the property and reloading it, and one that does not require me to drive back home to get my over-under after dropping off my grandchildren at school in order to go skeet shooting.