Kasich threatens veto of Stand Your Ground

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Kasich threatens veto of Stand Your Ground

Post by rickt »

Again. Funny the Republican leaders are hinting at moving the bill since HB 228 passed out of committee 5/22/2018 and the leadership has not scheduled a floor vote since then. Even if they do pass the bill, I can't picture them calling a special session and dragging everyone back to Columbus for a special veto override.
Ohio lawmakers are preparing to return to the Statehouse for what looks like a busy lame duck session. This is when legislators pass a slew of bills before the year ends. Gov. John Kasich is among the many state leaders preparing for what could be a big fight over hot button bills.

There’s at least one bill Kasich says he knows he won’t sign.

“Stand Your Ground bill, I’d veto any bill like that,” Kasich says.

Republican lawmakers have hinted at moving the Stand Your Ground bill, which makes it easier to use lethal force in self-defense.
http://www.statenews.org/post/what-kasi ... itely-veto
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Kasich threatens veto of Stand Your Ground

Post by qmti »

Not surprised by this. He thinks he'll get more support for his 2020 Presidential (maybe switch parties) run from the anti-gun people since he has now aggravated his pro gun Republican base.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Someone remind me, was Dewine ever specifically asked by anyone during the campaign about Stand your ground, and if so what was his answer?

From the link:
He points to the latest mass shooting in a southern California bar as proof that Ohio needs to pass his so-called common sense gun regulations.
California already had all of those so called "common sense" gun regulations and more, and it didn't stop anything. Perhaps they could've actually had some armed defenders among the hundreds of people there that could've shot back before the numbers got to double digits? Or is that not common sense anymore?
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I don't know just where Dewine stands on this issue but I have noticed that he seems to like to cozy up to LE groups. These groups tend to oppose just about everything we try to do.

Common sense is alive and well. It just means something different to the anti's than it does to us. It's like it's in a parallel mirror universe or something.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member