HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rottman43055

Re: HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Post by rottman43055 »

qmti wrote:BFA has posted that HB228 is still alive and kicking. It's finally moving along. I guess we'll see what Kasick has to say on this movement.
I saw an article today that said they are supposed to vote Wed & if it passes it goes back to the senate which is in session until mid Dec.

A lot of good people have been working hard for all LAC gun owners and I'm very grateful to them all.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Thank you, Justashooter and all others who represented us! :D
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

AlanM wrote:No problem, I was trained and worked in QC for a long time. I'm a professional nit picker.
And an equal opportunity annoyer.
Sign me up.. The wife says I'm over qualified and need some new targets..
Carry on.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I am signed up with Ohio Gun Owners (OGO) ' Action emails' or some-such.
Its nice to see the coordination to get the information out to people to contact their reps for support of this HB228 & presumably Nino Vitale's ammendment.

...'That's why Ohio Gun Owners has teamed up with Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Ohio Carry to bring forward an amendment that would FIX HB228 and make it a rock solid Stand-Your-Ground bill!'...
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Javelin Man wrote:Thank you, Justashooter and all others who represented us! :D
I second that comment. I thank all who have worked to forward this legislation.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Thank you, Justashooter and all others who represented us! :D
I second that comment. I thank all who have worked to forward this legislation.
Thanks for the kind words, but I was just along for the ride. Chuck and Doug deserve the lions share of the gratitude. If it were not for the relationships they've built and their efforts to organize the day, yesterday would not have produced the kind of results we saw.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
usmale

Post by usmale »

At the State House yesterday, never saw a rep from BFA, then today on Facebook they attack anyone who supported the bill, seems like some organizations want to pay themselves a lot of money and not work for all of us, BFA is this kind of group, thank God there are good organizations like this one who steps up and works hard for all of us....
- OFCC member -
-NRA Life Member-
Hamilton County Sheriff's dept Academy class of 1982

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.-Jeff Cooper
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The bill just passed. I have watched a number of floor debates over the years and I have never seen that level of anger before. I thought Speaker Ryan's gavel was going to break when he slammed it down to interrupt the representative who played the race card. You could still hear her yelling in the background as the voting started.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Just got finished watching the House being broadcast on the Ohio channel. Both sides of the issue of HB228 had good view points on the issue. Obviously the Democrat legislators were against the bill using examples of mass shootings, cities can't use home rule, their constituents don't feel safe around guns, etc. from the urban sections of the state. These concerns really didn't apply to the bill. Unfortunately the last Representative (D) used the race card to argue against the bill and had to have her mic turned off. The bill's main point is as I see it is the "innocent until proven guilty". The bill did pass with a majority vote.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

rickt wrote:The bill just passed. I have watched a number of floor debates over the years and I have never seen that level of anger before. I thought Speaker Ryan's gavel was going to break when he slammed it down to interrupt the representative who played the race card. You could still hear her yelling in the background as the voting started.
Sorry for the duplicate post, I was typing my post before I saw yours (I'm a little slow).
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

So under HB 228 carrying a concealed handgun without a license is a minor misdemeanor (1st time, no other offense). That person has no obligation to notify law enforcement.

Carrying a concealed handgun with a license but failing to notify law enforcement of that fact is still a first degree misdemeanor.

That strikes me as completely crazy set of punishments. Am I looking at an outdated version of HB228? http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/sola ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Am I looking at an outdated version of HB228?
Probably. An amendment was added to the bill but it might be a day or two before we see the wording of the bill as passed.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

usmale wrote:At the State House yesterday, never saw a rep from BFA, then today on Facebook they attack anyone who supported the bill, seems like some organizations want to pay themselves a lot of money and not work for all of us, BFA is this kind of group, thank God there are good organizations like this one who steps up and works hard for all of us....
What was BFA's objection to the bill?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

On AM 1370 this afternoon, the talk show host, Scott Sands had a fellow on from Buckeye Firearms and the guest was bragging about how the legislature has been working on 228 and how much work they have been doing to get it passed. Also how good a bill it is because it gets Ohio in with the other 49 states about Stand Your Ground.

A lot of self patting on the back by BFA.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JN01

Post by JN01 »

Did it pass by enough votes to override the Governors veto?