HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Post by Chuck »

There was no amendment to the bill on Tuesday and the bill that was voted out of committee was the same one as before the committee meeting
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/st ... heUL3STDP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A controversial ‘Stand Your Ground’ gun bill will likely get a floor vote in the Ohio House next week and even if Gov. John Kasich follows through with his veto promise, there would be enough support to override a veto, said Speaker Ryan Smith, R-Bidwell.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Once again, Ohio gun laws get changed for the better over the veto of a jackwagon governor.
Anybody remember 2004?
I got a great birthday present on April 8.

EDIT: I take that back. I thought that the bill was vetoed and the veto overridden.
The Senate and House caved to Taft and added the media access crap that Taft wanted.
It took years to get that removed.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gu ... ds-freedom

It was in 2006 that Taft's veto was overridden and most of his poison pills that were in the original 2004 bill were removed.

BTW: That list mentions the bone of contention between the two organizations. 2005 July.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Nobody wants put in the position of having to defend themselves.

Hopefully this passes so victims of violence are victimized twice.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

rottman43055 wrote:Nobody wants put in the position of having to defend themselves.

I certainly hope that you meant "aren't victimized twice".
At least that's my hope of Ohio.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

AlanM wrote:
rottman43055 wrote:Nobody wants put in the position of having to defend themselves.

I certainly hope that you meant "aren't victimized twice".
At least that's my hope of Ohio.
LOL, yep. Good catch, thanks
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

No problem, I was trained and worked in QC for a long time. I'm a professional nit picker.
And an equal opportunity annoyer.
AlanM
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The House will hold session tomorrow without voting on a controversial piece of legislation that makes it easier to use lethal force in self-defense. Opponents of the bill say the so-called “Stand Your Ground” bill was shelved because of strong public outcry.
http://statenews.org/post/stand-your-gr ... -house-now
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

A different source says the wording of the bill is the issue.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/e-t ... d-law-ohio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLEVELAND - A gun rights debate on hold in Ohio, even though state lawmakers were supposed to vote on a "stand your ground” law this week, that vote was delayed. Democratic Representative David Leland and others say the upcoming midterm election played a role in stalling the bill.
“In the language of the law as it’s been proposed, there’s no differentiation between the use of deadly force or non-deadly force, so right there, there may be some situations where litigation could arise,” Washington said.

Judges in Florida, are grappling with that now, having a backlog of cases because of confusion with how their law is worded.

“This essentially it means I felt threated and there’s nothing else that needs to be done to prove that they felt threatened, and it’s almost impossible to counter that kind of statement,” said News 5’s Political Analyst, Tom Sutton.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

The issue is, politic. The solution this time is....wait for it...Ohio does it best.....waiting.

Yes! The answer is wait. So how is this the answer (remember, you have to think like a wait-er LoL)?

1. Please review the basics of The Waiting Principal; Why do something now when , once done, it cannot be done later?
2. By waiting, perhaps the planets will align and Kasichich (word play on Kucinich) will announce ''Eye will sign''
3. We wait for a nue Gov (presumed DeW) , but we need lot$a ca$h to get 'er done ($$, the life$blood of allll political races). Donate now, later, donate daily, and again now -in case you forget tomorrow.
4. Our guy wins in Nov. , we can get the bill to him .002 seconds after swearing in, he signs it, alll is well, he looks good, we look good etc.
5. (omitted, you'll have to wait for it, it's back to committee & you know that may take many years)(this does NOT omit donating lotsa $$ in #3 ^^)

More 1st cup-o-joe humour. Unfortunately perhaps somewhere in there is buried the actual plan I'm calling it #4. Least ways I think I got The Waiting Principal spot-on...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Just wondering what is happening if anything with this bill.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

qmti wrote:Just wondering what is happening if anything with this bill.
The General Assembly is on summer recess so nothing is happening.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''...The General Assembly is on summer recess so nothing is happening....''

Preceded by, the General Assembly is IN session; nothing is happening.

I refer to #1, then #4 scenario I provided some days ago.

Sound like British Parliament lingo a bit eh? The parallel is they espouse a non firearms position, also. They just don't hide or deflect it (save elections time, VOTE FOR ME).
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

BFA has posted that HB228 is still alive and kicking. It's finally moving along. I guess we'll see what Kasick has to say on this movement.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:BFA has posted that HB228 is still alive and kicking. It's finally moving along. I guess we'll see what Kasick has to say on this movement.
While BFA was sitting on their collective backsides posting and emailing about it, I and many other OFCC members were at the Statehouse today meeting with some 50 Reps and Senators to make sure HB228 is moving and drumming up support - not only to pass the bill, but to add an amendment to improve it that OFCC and OGO have been working on together over the summer, and push for an override of the veto Kasich has promised. Stay tuned, this is getting interesting...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!