SB81=Sucking up to Veterans. Waste of time & ink.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

SB81=Sucking up to Veterans. Waste of time & ink.

Post by JU-87 »

Got this email from OFCC:
"Make your voice heard! State Senator Lou Terhar has introduced SB81 which serves to do the following:
-Waives the payment of the license fee that is otherwise required to obtain a concealed handgun license for applicants who are active or reserve members of the armed forces of the United States, or who have retired from or were honorably discharged from such military service.
-Caps the waiver of license fees described in the preceding dot point at $1,500,000 each calendar year.
-Permits an applicant for a concealed handgun license who has retired from or has been honorably discharged from military service to submit evidence of the applicant's military service as proof of competency regardless of the date that the applicant retired or was honorably discharged.
-Permits a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license to do so at any time before the expiration date of the license."
Why waste legislative time on sucking up to Veterans? Wouldn't the time, and "legislative ink" be better spent on REAL improvements
like , oh,let me think... CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY?

Or how about eliminating the "Duty to notify"?

Or how about reducing the fee to $20 for everyone?

Too much Military worship here. What about the MAJORITY who where never drafted or enlisted?

Incidentally, I'm an Honorably discharged Veteran.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
OhioPaints

Re: SB81=Sucking up to Veterans. Waste of time & ink.

Post by OhioPaints »

My thoughts were very similar when I read the OFCC email.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Maybe I have "street cred" because I am a Veteran, so I can speak out LOUD, without people getting all "Merica" on me. :wink:

All this bill is, is cheap, phoney "feel good" sucking up to (about) 1/100 of Ohio citizens.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JU-87 wrote:CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY?
Because we know it won't happen in Ohio for quite a while. There simply isn't the elected that wish to push it.
JU-87 wrote:Or how about eliminating the "Duty to notify"?
You mean HB 142 that we have been emailing about and pushing info on?
JU-87 wrote:Or how about reducing the fee to $20 for everyone?
Simply won't happen. I would love for that, but there are costs involved to do all the work and Sheriff's would be against lowering it so we would have that battle.
JU-87 wrote:Too much Military worship here. What about the MAJORITY who where never drafted or enlisted?

Incidentally, I'm an Honorably discharged Veteran.
Generally I've always complained about bills like that. But I look at some of them as you give a little leeway, then you expand it to others when you show that class of people isn't an issue. Also, there is this in the bill....
-Permits a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license to do so at any time before the expiration date of the license."
Some may not care about that, but there was a huge rumble when the NICS thing went into effect that people couldn't renew early to use their CHL as their background check. Without this bill, if you renewed in February of 2015, you have to wait till at least November of 2019 to use a CHL to bypass the NICS call in when buying a firearm.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Unless this bill gains OFCC support for other initiatives then it seems very low value to me. If we don't have constitutional carry then why should vets - most of whom had little to zero experience with handguns during their service - be able to cc without the same training other Ohioans w/o handgun experience are required to have?

OFCC could post another poll for similar to this one http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find out what people want. For example, with the recent knife thread I'm reminded that it makes no sense someone with a CHL is allowed to carry a handgun concealed, but a concealed knife is apparently still too much of a threat. Our CHL should be a CWP and I just can't see the logic against that idea.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Some may not care about that, but there was a huge rumble when the NICS thing went into effect that people couldn't renew early to use their CHL as their background check. Without this bill, if you renewed in February of 2015, you have to wait till at least November of 2019 to use a CHL to bypass the NICS call in when buying a firearm.
See, this is the part of the bill that I really like. What's the sense of being NICS compliant if it takes years for me to get there? :?: :idea:

I get it, not everybody is a veteran. Heck, I never served. But Sen. Terhar has a bill here that makes the NICS compliance/exemption really work sooner rather than later. That's my reason to support it.

That, and in general I like us having the ball and forcing the anti-gunners to react to our agenda rather than the other way around.

Constitutional Carry has always been and continues to be OFCC's mission. Kasich will never sign it. So go get us a (really, seriously, honestly, no BS) pro-gun governor in the 2018 election. There are some good choices... :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Some may not care about that, but there was a huge rumble when the NICS thing went into effect that people couldn't renew early to use their CHL as their background check. Without this bill, if you renewed in February of 2015, you have to wait till at least November of 2019 to use a CHL to bypass the NICS call in when buying a firearm.
Let's stop for a second and think about how things really work in Ohio though. If this bill becomes law, it won't be passed and signed until December 20, 2018. Tack on 90 days for it to be effective and it will probably be effective April 2019. Not so sexy anymore.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

djthomas wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Some may not care about that, but there was a huge rumble when the NICS thing went into effect that people couldn't renew early to use their CHL as their background check. Without this bill, if you renewed in February of 2015, you have to wait till at least November of 2019 to use a CHL to bypass the NICS call in when buying a firearm.
Let's stop for a second and think about how things really work in Ohio though. If this bill becomes law, it won't be passed and signed until December 20, 2018. Tack on 90 days for it to be effective and it will probably be effective April 2019. Not so sexy anymore.
Last time we were at the Statehouse we let it be known, loudly and often, that the "wait until lame duck" strategy had finally jumped the shark in our eyes. The disaster of SB199 happened because of lame duck rushing with zero time tactics. No more.

That's why SB142 is getting another hearing next Tuesday.

Now that doesn't mean that everything is going to move at lightspeed. I think we'll see a steady flow of legislation during these 2 years as opposed to the "months on end of nothing, then 2 weeks of haste" of before.

SB81 has had just the one (sponsor) hearing. In order for it to make reasonable, timely progress it needs to move forward with a second (proponent) hearing. It could also use some co-sponsors. That's what we're looking for.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I am probably taking that too literally but that wording seems to say that when I renew in 2018, I can also renew for the 2023 and 2028 periods.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

OhioPaints wrote:
I am probably taking that too literally but that wording seems to say that when I renew in 2018, I can also renew for the 2023 and 2028 periods.
That's from a bill summary/analysis, not the actual text of the bill.

Not everybody likes to wade through hardcore legalese...
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Morne wrote:That's from a bill summary/analysis, not the actual text of the bill.

Not everybody likes to wade through hardcore legalese...
Judging from SB199 that includes our legislators and the people who help them draft bills. ;)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

OhioPaints wrote:
Yes, you could sorta....however, the ORC still says the license expires 5 years from the issue date. So if you want to drop some money into the coffers of the Sheriff each day, feel free to, but you wouldn't gain anything besides a few days.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I can afford to renew my CHL just like most of us here.....now consider what the military pay is and your argument that this is a waist of time goes down the toilet. IMO.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JU-87 wrote:

Why waste legislative time on sucking up to Veterans?
Because they vote that's why. Sucking up to constituents is what politicians do.

As a vet myself I have to admit I don't see much value in this bill but I don't see any harm either. Not passing this bill would not necessarily translate to passing bills to address the other issues you mentioned. Which by the way are very important issues and are currently being worked on individually. I don't think I would spend much political capitol on this but I wouldn't oppose it either.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Unless this bill gains OFCC support for other initiatives then it seems very low value to me.

You hit that nail directly on the head
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)