Municipal Re-education 101: OFCC v. City of Campbell filed

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Municipal Re-education 101: OFCC v. City of Campbell filed

Post by jgarvas »

Today Ohioans For Concealed Carry filed a lawsuit against the City of Campbell, Ohio in response to their obstinate handling of an illegal gun ban they adopted as emergency legislation. Despite over two months of communications and demands from our legal representation to repeal their ordinance, and despite two occasions where the City of Campbell's law director has been printed in the Vindicator indicating that the law must be repealed and the city can not accomplish what it wants under Ohio law, the city tabled legislation to repeal the law and sent it back to committee.

As recently as yesterday, the city suggested that it had home rule authority. In yesterday's Vindicator coverage of this weekend's rally Juanita Rich indicated that the repeal legislation will meet opposition in council. Ohioans For Concealed Carry feels that we have no other option but to seek a legal remedy and have filed a lawsuit today.

Read all of the details here

Go here for Rally information: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And please consider a donation to Ohioans For Concealed Carry today.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Municipal Re-education 101: OFCC v. City of Campbell fil

Post by Pops Fun »

You have been very patient...
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
BobK

Post by BobK »

With the letter you have sent to the Police Chief regarding lawful open carry, should someone get arrested for same it seems like a slam dunk for a payoff.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

BobK wrote:With the letter you have sent to the Police Chief regarding lawful open carry, should someone get arrested for same it seems like a slam dunk for a payoff.
well.... Maybe. The City is on the verge of being taken over by the State of Ohio due to fiscal emergency. An officer would likely have qualified immunity (although there is another way to put him on the hook). Regardless, neither would have the funds for a "payoff". But in the words of Brian D. it can't be about lack of education anymore in Campbell.
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

BobK

Post by BobK »

jgarvas wrote:The City is on the verge of being taken over by the State of Ohio due to fiscal emergency.
When the state takes over, I "assume" that does not mean all debts get repudiated? Of course, Ohio itself isn't in much better shape . . .
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
daddy

Post by daddy »

To make sure I understand correctly, they recently (I'm guessing the last day or two) adopted a total gun ban city wide? Probably in response to our walk? Or is this "gun ban" still the original denial of the gun repair shop?

Should those attending anticipate "problems"?

I am not trying to discourage anyone, simply trying to understand fully, so I can prepare properly.

Thanks for everything you have done and continue to do.
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

daddy wrote:To make sure I understand correctly, they recently (I'm guessing the last day or two) adopted a total gun ban city wide? Probably in response to our walk? Or is this "gun ban" still the original denial of the gun repair shop?

Should those attending anticipate "problems"?

I am not trying to discourage anyone, simply trying to understand fully, so I can prepare properly.

Thanks for everything you have done and continue to do.
1. The lawsuit is in response to the ban on the sale of firearms that was adopted as emergency legislation months ago
2. They mentioned to the Young American Liberty group organizer some kind of fear of AK-47 rifles and suggested they could take some type of action if they saw someone carrying one around. In response to hearing that third party we sent them this letter today:

RE: Possession of Firearms - Young Americans for Liberty Rally

3. Should you anticipate problems? No, but be prepared with how you will react, speak, and/or who you'd call if arrested - because the Chief of Police apparently has a problem understanding the law. This city has shown no respect for gun owners or our attempt to have this legislation repealed. We're told the Chief of Police caused the repeal to be delayed and put into committee.

4. We have their attention now. Their law director, who has always publicly agreed with our position, has communicated with our attorney today. Unfortunately it took two months and a lawsuit to make that happen.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

daddy

Post by daddy »

Thanks for the clarification. It sort of sounded like they adopted new emergency legislation to ban all firearms city wide. Glad that wasn't the case.
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

daddy wrote:Thanks for the clarification. It sort of sounded like they adopted new emergency legislation to ban all firearms city wide. Glad that wasn't the case.
we'd have sought an injunction :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

There was a good article in the campus paper, TheJambar today.....

http://media.www.thejambar.com/media/st ... 6524.shtml
Youngstown Ohio.... Gotta live somewhere.
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

How do these people think they can get away with passing a law that violates 9.68? Where do they think they are, Cleveland? I'm going 2 hours early, taking chairs and have fresh batteries in my Voice recorder. Plus I'm bringing a camera with my spouse who's not going to be armed JIC.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

JSLACK7851 wrote:How do these people think they can get away with passing a law that violates 9.68? Where do they think they are, Cleveland? I'm going 2 hours early, taking chairs and have fresh batteries in my Voice recorder. Plus I'm bringing a camera with my spouse who's not going to be armed JIC.
I'm going to be there early, too...;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

See you guys there. 8)
Kowboy
Account Deactivated

Post by Kowboy »

Jeff:

"When OFCC began to advertise the rally the city demanded the YAL group pay $2,000 in law enforcement wages for their peaceful protest. There was talk of the rally becoming a protest, which caught the attention of the Youngstown Vindicator newspaper yesterday.
The Young American Liberty organizers have negotiated that down to a much more reasonable rate, and donations raised in this discussion thread allowed Ohioans For Concealed Carry to contribute $400 to the cause since it was our presence that nearly cancelled the YAL rally they so graciously invited us to speak at."

These fees hardly seem to meet the Supreme Court’s requirements of "narrowly drawn, reasonable, and definite standards":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Co ... t_Movement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shouldn't your lawyer have known this?

Kowboy
"I want no heaven for which I must give my reason; no happiness in exchange
for my liberty, and no immortality that demands the surrender of my
individuality. Better rot in the windowless tomb, to which there is no door
but the red mouth of the pallid worm, than wear the jeweled collar of a god."
[Robert G. Ingersoll, "Individuality", 1873]
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Do the Tea Party Rally's have to go through the same thing that you are discussing here?
Abandon ye all HOPE!