Senate Bill 357 (no I’m not kidding)

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Senate Bill 357 (no I’m not kidding)

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
I know about the 5/3 shooting. Made it a point to since two of the responding CPD are acquaintances. Investigators never found a motive as to why there, or why at all.** Not prohibited from owning/possessing firearms.

**IF I were to speculate, that paragraph MIGHT include terms like "prescription behavioral drugs", "for several years", and "under a mental health professional's care". But I wouldn't wanna do that.

I don't see how HIPAA regulations and "red flag laws" can ever be made to both work at the same time. Not without some thorough gut stomping of Constitutional rights.
I never thought about shooting up a 5th/3rd, but I sure got ticked off at them quite a few times when I had to deal with them and that was well before 2004 when they immediately posted. I can't stand that bank.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
I know about the 5/3 shooting. Made it a point to since two of the responding CPD are acquaintances. Investigators never found a motive as to why there, or why at all.** Not prohibited from owning/possessing firearms.

**IF I were to speculate, that paragraph MIGHT include terms like "prescription behavioral drugs", "for several years", and "under a mental health professional's care". But I wouldn't wanna do that.

I don't see how HIPAA regulations and "red flag laws" can ever be made to both work at the same time. Not without some thorough gut stomping of Constitutional rights.
I never thought about shooting up a 5th/3rd, but I sure got ticked off at them quite a few times when I had to deal with them and that was well before 2004 when they immediately posted. I can't stand that bank.
From what my friends told me, the shooter had never done
business with 5th/3rd. Supposedly had been caught on cameras downtown in previous days, sort of scouting around a few busy locations.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Senate Bill 357

Post by kcclark »

Third hearing in the finance committee is Tuesday at 14:15. This is for opponents and "interested" parties.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

December 6th - 3rd hearing

Post by kcclark »

Went to the committee meeting today. First time I've been at one.

First speaker was a mental health advocate. Part of her testimony really tweaked my ear. Basically mass shootings are a common problem but mental illness is rarely the cause. She blamed the media for blowing the mental health angle out of proportion. I really wanted to ask her why she did not have a problem with the media blowing mass shootings out of proportion. I'm guessing the real answer would be because she believes the hype when it comes to shootings.

From her testimony:
A survey commissioned by the American Psychological Association after the August 2019 mass shootings
in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas found that nearly 80% of Americans experience stress following a
mass shooting. In addition, the survey found that one-third of American adults say they fear going to
certain public places due to mass shootings.
The media too often
blames mental illness as the root cause of mass shootings. This is untrue.
https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_ ... /burke.pdf

Doug Deeken was a speaker against the bill. He was excellent. Had me smiling. If you can find video of his testimony, I recommend watching it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Psychology and psychiatry organizations have long gotten their noses bent out of joint when people question the effectiveness of their practices. Not to mention the highly variable, sometimes very negative results of the medicines prescribed by the psychiatrists. Big pharma has way too much skin in the game to let that happen.

We reaped what we sowed back when the do-gooders demanded that mental institutions be almost completely eliminated as an option for treatment.

When I was a paramedic and needed a continuing education class, I chose other subjects than psychiatry to go attend a class/lecture on. A lot of my prehospital cohorts felt the same way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.