Senate Bill 357 (no I’m not kidding)

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

Senate Bill 357 (no I’m not kidding)

Post by wobblygoblin »

Senator Matt Dolan, the same Dolan who’s family owns the Indians and didn’t stand up to woke pressure to change the team’s century old name, has introduced this bill. I haven’t read it yet but I’m betting it’s filled with nonsense because it mentions protection orders.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 134-SB-357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Senate Bill 357 (no I’m not kidding)

Post by WhyNot »

...see? It's the right way to do the WRONG thing.

...See ?

:P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I haven't read the bill itself yet but a local TV station was reporting part of the bill was that anyone who wanted to buy a gun and was younger than 21 had to have someone older than 21 sign off on it and that in doing so they would be legally responsible for the actions of the person under 21 (unless the gun is a single shot firearm)

IMO that's just crazy liability wise. I don't care who it is, under or over 21, I'm not signing anything that says I'm legally responsible for someone else's actions. ANYONE (including law enforcement) has the potential to do something wrong with a firearm, regardless of how good a person they are 99.9% of the time.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Okay, just looked at the bill, should've done that before posting I guess. Regarding my previous post the news media was (again) partially wrong. The co signer has to be at least 25, not 21, and in addition to a single shot firearm being exempt, a double barrel firearm is also exempt, as long as each barrel has to be manually reloaded after firing.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

M-Quigley wrote:...and in addition to a single shot firearm being exempt, a double barrel firearm is also exempt, as long as each barrel has to be manually reloaded after firing.
Gee that's mighty um,er, GENEROUS of you, Senator Matt :P .

Perhaps Senator Matt can explain how Bruen relates to rifle purchasers sans 21? Married with kiddies BUT... 20?

Or, was there long gun restrictions on them yungins b4 1791? Hmm? :lol:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

WhyNot wrote:Or, was there long gun restrictions on them yungins b4 1791? Hmm? :lol:

Not according to The Patriot :D
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:...and in addition to a single shot firearm being exempt, a double barrel firearm is also exempt, as long as each barrel has to be manually reloaded after firing.
Gee that's mighty um,er, GENEROUS of you, Senator Matt :P .
It's not just that, according to the TV news story he (generously) said he won't support a complete gun ban. :P
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

"And starring James Arness, as Matt Dolan." Sorry, that's what kept running through my head during Dolan's 'tough on crime, gonna fight for you!!' campaign ads.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Senate Bill 357

Post by kcclark »

The bill in question is SB 357, and though it’s been bottled up in committee for most of the year, there’s now a push to move the bill forward during the legislature’s lame-duck session
On Tuesday, the Senate Finance Committee held its first hearing on SB 357, but didn’t hold a vote on the measure.
Clearly DeWine is hoping to capitalize on his overwhelming victory last week, but whether or not his Republican colleagues in the statehouse have had a change of heart about his gun proposals is still very much up in the air. The first test will be a vote in the Senate Finance Committee, and Ohio gun owners should be reaching out to those committee members to share their concerns before the bill has a chance to reach the Senate floor.
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022 ... ion-n64447
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

DeWhine.
Please.

Who puts this stuff forward? Who decides when to consider this nuttiness?

Pasture for Richard and Franny.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I don't see this going anywhere with the current legislature. The only reason The Guv ended the COVID emergency order stuff was because this legislature was about to ram and end right down his throat. Clearly, they are not beholden to him... large victory or not.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Upcoming hearing on 357

Post by kcclark »

November 29th is going to be the 2nd hearing for 357. Dolan is the chair of the committee and the sponsor of the bill. He can move things along to get it out of committee. The bottom of the committee meeting notice says "Possible Vote."

https://ohiosenate.gov/committees/finance
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Yesterday's hearing was for the people in favor of 357. Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence was a no show. Since Toby stepped down, OCAGV seems to be pretty irrelevant except for reporters who still have Toby on speed dial. Our main opposition these days seems to be Whitney Austin. She got shot during the Cincy Fifth Third shooting. She started a group called Whitney/Strong Organization and is pushing gun control. She likes to let you know that she is Pro-2A, as she said in her testimony yesterday:
As a gun owner who has never lived in a home without a gun, I value the Second Amendment. My
efforts to prevent injury and death are not incongruent with it. In fact, it is the opposite. The best route
to strengthening and preserving the Second Amendment is to put controls in place, that are not in
conflict with our Constitution, to ensure the targeted few at risk of harm to self or others do not have
access.

Gun owners, we are only as safe as our weakest link, and right now, we are very, very unsafe.
She got some press coverage.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polit ... 836d16487c
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:Yesterday's hearing was for the people in favor of 357. Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence was a no show. Since Toby stepped down, OCAGV seems to be pretty irrelevant except for reporters who still have Toby on speed dial. Our main opposition these days seems to be Whitney Austin. She got shot during the Cincy Fifth Third shooting. She started a group called Whitney/Strong Organization and is pushing gun control. She likes to let you know that she is Pro-2A, as she said in her testimony yesterday:
As a gun owner who has never lived in a home without a gun, I value the Second Amendment. My
efforts to prevent injury and death are not incongruent with it. In fact, it is the opposite. The best route
to strengthening and preserving the Second Amendment is to put controls in place, that are not in
conflict with our Constitution, to ensure the targeted few at risk of harm to self or others do not have
access.

Gun owners, we are only as safe as our weakest link, and right now, we are very, very unsafe.
She got some press coverage.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polit ... 836d16487c
I suppose no one in the press or the statehouse asked her what in HB357 could've possibly prevented the fifth third shooter from having access? :?:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:
kcclark wrote:Yesterday's hearing was for the people in favor of 357. Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence was a no show. Since Toby stepped down, OCAGV seems to be pretty irrelevant except for reporters who still have Toby on speed dial. Our main opposition these days seems to be Whitney Austin. She got shot during the Cincy Fifth Third shooting. She started a group called Whitney/Strong Organization and is pushing gun control.

I suppose no one in the press or the statehouse asked her what in HB357 could've possibly prevented the fifth third shooter from having access? :?:

I know about the 5/3 shooting. Made it a point to since two of the responding CPD are acquaintances. Investigators never found a motive as to why there, or why at all.** Not prohibited from owning/possessing firearms.

**IF I were to speculate, that paragraph MIGHT include terms like "prescription behavioral drugs", "for several years", and "under a mental health professional's care". But I wouldn't wanna do that.

I don't see how HIPAA regulations and "red flag laws" can ever be made to both work at the same time. Not without some thorough gut stomping of Constitutional rights.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.