is JD Vance advertising at all?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

is JD Vance advertising at all?

Post by M-Quigley »

In my area in SW Ohio all I see is Tim Ryan ads, which make himself sound like a moderate. Of course I know he isn't but there's a lot of ignorant voters out there. I'm guessing maybe that's because if he is advertising that he campaign is spending it's ad dollars in other areas of the state that are less red? The polling I'm seeing has them even or Ryan slightly ahead. The last thing the Senate and Ohio needs is 2 Dem Senators.

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: is JD Vance advertising at all?

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:In my area in SW Ohio all I see is Tim Ryan ads, which make himself sound like a moderate. Of course I know he isn't but there's a lot of ignorant voters out there. I'm guessing maybe that's because if he is advertising that he campaign is spending it's ad dollars in other areas of the state that are less red? The polling I'm seeing has them even or Ryan slightly ahead. The last thing the Senate and Ohio needs is 2 Dem Senators.

Haven't seen any advertising, but I frequently get requests for donations from him.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Some Vance ads have started showing up on my YouTube feed recently. Strange because while he is shown in them, it is mainly his wife talking about him almost like he isn't there.

JLE
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I fear that the JD Vance campaign is going to become yet another example of the R's snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This should have been a very winnable seat and they are blowing it. There is still time to recover but Vance needs to get to work doing some real campaigning.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I'm still scratching my head about how Vance became the candidate. About the only thing I know about this guy is he wrote a book and got Trump's endorsement.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe the Dems used Vance as a stalking horse all along?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

kcclark wrote:I'm still scratching my head about how Vance became the candidate. About the only thing I know about this guy is he wrote a book and got Trump's endorsement.

There's your answer. But the real issue here is lack of effort on the Vance campaign's part - up to date, they are throwing the race away and allowing Ryan to set the terms.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Walked past Tim as he posed in front of a food vendor at the Ohio State Fair. He looked as dumb and Pinocchio as expected. You got the sense that he is completely vapid as social media is the God to be served.

https://twitter.com/TimRyan/status/1555 ... 24/photo/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I'm not in the background)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWfQD72nNB8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JEaton wrote:Some Vance ads have started showing up on my YouTube feed recently. Strange because while he is shown in them, it is mainly his wife talking about him almost like he isn't there.

JLE
I just recently saw one TV ad and it sounded similar to what you describe, it's his wife talking about him, pretty lame commercial. Meanwhile Tim Ryan's ad's are frequent, particularly where a veterans group is claiming Vance ran a Veterans aid program that allegedly was just to funnel money to his campaign.

I haven't been able to listen to wlw in the daytime lately so I didn't know about Cunningham talking to him. It's ironic though, because if I had a chance to talk to Vance about his campaign when I posted the OP, my comments to him would be almost the same.
Cunningham, the Cincinnati talk radio host, said he has been speaking regularly with Vance. He shared with The Daily Beast his advice to the candidate: “I told J.D., ‘This race is yours to lose, and at this point, you’re losing it.’ Your staff won’t tell you, but I just did.”
Back in the Buckeye State, many are still waiting for Vance to show up, as the most critical phase of the campaign season draws near.

Bill Cunningham, a fixture on conservative talk radio airwaves in Cincinnati for decades, told The Daily Beast that voters, party activists, and even statewide officials are telling him that Vance has been phoning it in. Vance is allegedly missing from many of the county fairs, party meetings, and campaign stops where candidates in this state are expected to be.

“The Republican faithful are telling me,” Cunningham said, “they can't find J.D. Vance with a search warrant.”

Others say it’s not just that they don’t see Vance—the anti-Trump literary celeb turned MAGA firebrand—pounding the pavement in Ohio. Privately, some aren’t even getting calls back from him, or his campaign, to discuss how they can help.

That group includes campaign donors whom Vance literally cannot afford to lose. The candidate’s fundraising has been anemic, and because he’s carrying debt from the bruising primary, Vance is in the unenviable position of asking donors to pay off those debts.

One GOP source in state politics said Vance’s lack of followup with some important donors in the state has been disappointing. “When the fundraising numbers came out, it’s full-on panic now,” they said.

“It’s a code red,” said Ron Verb, a longtime talk radio host in Youngstown, who has been sounding the alarm about Vance on his show. “I think he’s running the worst campaign that you could possibly run.”

Meanwhile, Republicans begrudgingly admit that the Democratic nominee, Rep. Tim Ryan, is perhaps running the best possible campaign from a Democrat in this increasingly conservative state.

Ryan has raised a staggering $12 million for his campaign so far. And he is using that war chest to blanket Ohio airwaves with ads touting his blue collar bona fides, amplifying his professed desire to break with fellow Democrats on key issues, like inflation and crime. (Notably, Ryan has been a reliable Democratic vote during his two decades in Congress.)

With Vance largely absent on the airwaves and the campaign trail, Republicans fret that Ryan is successfully defining himself before Vance is—and that time is running out for the Republican to right the ship.

Meanwhile, Ryan might be doing a good job of fooling some moderates and crossover voters who haven't actually paid attention or researched what he has actually done in office, as compared to what he is portraying himself to be now. :(
A GOP source in state politics said it’s a “widespread trend” that Republicans officials are hearing in their networks about Ryan’s crossover appeal. “People who are Republicans are saying, ‘that Tim Ryan guy, he’s alright, I like the way he sounds,’” the GOP source said.
Of course, the Republicans who are most harshly critical of Vance don’t want to see him lose. To the contrary: they want to see him hold this seat and defeat Ryan, whose attempt at persuading Trump voters is annoying and infuriating to many GOP loyalists.

“Tim Ryan is a fraud and a phony,” Verb said. “With all of that being said, he is running one of the most effective campaigns I’ve seen.”

Vance, Verb continued, “better get off his butt, figure out why he isn’t raising more money, why the Republican Party isn’t behind him raising money, and try to counter the ad campaign of Tim Ryan.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-th ... e-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:Walked past Tim as he posed in front of a food vendor at the Ohio State Fair. He looked as dumb and Pinocchio as expected. You got the sense that he is completely vapid as social media is the God to be served.

https://twitter.com/TimRyan/status/1555 ... 24/photo/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I'm not in the background)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWfQD72nNB8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least you saw him, which is more than can be said of his opponent. I visited an acquaintance of mine yesterday who lives in Dayton and interviews people very casually about Ohio political issues (he wants to start a blog) and among the people who claim will vote in November but don't usually pay attention to political candidates or issues, don't vote in primaries, and aren't far left or right asked about the Ohio Senate race. OF THOSE PEOPLE, every one of them knew Ryan was running, but only 2 knew who the Republican candidate was, and those 2 only knew because of a Tim Ryan ad mentioning Vance in a negative way. In fact, that was a quote from one of them, "If it wasn't for the Tim Ryan ad, I wouldn't have known who was running against him."

One guy said he was voting for Ryan because he said he supported Trumps fight against China (Ryan TV ad) and just assumed Ryan was the Republican candidate. :( When he was told Ryan was the Democrat he was surprised, and didn't know who the Republican candidate even was.

When he asked people who JD Vance was, (besides being a candidate) most had no idea. One person did say though that he thought that he was an author. When asked what kind of books he writes, he said, "Mystery and suspense." A woman who was with him corrected him and said "No that's JD Robb." :roll:

One respondent who actually voted in the Republican primary and was politically aware of things voiced frustration, saying he was suspicious that Vance might be intentionally throwing the race to Ryan. :roll:

If things keep going the way they're going, Vance's next book could be "How to lose an election." :(
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

As I understand it, the Vance campaign is laying low during the summer and has a big push planned for after labor day.

Is that true? Will it work? I don't know. I guess we'll have to see.

I do understand the logic though.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I did get an unsolicited text from him (or someone on his team) yesterday.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Let us recall the JD was once a Never Trumper

He's riding the R coattails and the Trump coattails.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

bignflnut wrote:Let us recall the JD was once a Never Trumper

And his response to that it simple, and to the point: "I was wrong."

How you evaluate his statement is entirely up to you.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The analogy I'd use is one of a meteorologist.

He read the weather forecast or the environment wrong.
He is likely owned by his handlers, speechwriters, campaign staffers, etc. Trump got some momentum, and on the train jumped JD. "I was wrong" is a perfectly shallow and hollow response (it is not repentance). How were you wrong? Were you wrong regarding the candidate or the voters? On which issues? What still grates on you? How has DJT made you a better candidate, aside from his endorsement?

Everything I've ever heard is platitudes and sound bites.
Is he capable of a 40 minute interview discussing his deep and abiding convictions on various issues? But then, this is not necessary to win an election and get in on the grift of DC.