Happy Constitutional Carry Day, Ohio!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Happy Constitutional Carry Day, Ohio!

Post by JustaShooter »

OK, so it's really more "Unlicensed Carry" but still, today marks a significant milestone in the restoration of Ohioans' rights. Here's a video from Derek DeBrosse, AKA "The Gun Lawyer", on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ycMj6sitI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Happy Constitutional Carry Day, Ohio!

Post by Sevens »

Unfortunately the video introduces some trouble.

As it was posted a couple months ago, I truly have no idea if this has been clarified or if someone needs to be a "test case" but Mr. Debrosse tells us straight away that there is a real lack of clarity with regards to notification.

Has this been discussed or any consensus reached?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

Sevens wrote:Unfortunately the video introduces some trouble.

As it was posted a couple months ago, I truly have no idea if this has been clarified or if someone needs to be a "test case" but Mr. Debrosse tells us straight away that there is a real lack of clarity with regards to notification.

Has this been discussed or any consensus reached?
The AG seems pretty clear on it. From the new CCW manual:
Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters
If you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose and carrying a concealed handgun, you are no longer required to inform the officer that you are carrying. However, if the officer asks whether you are carrying, you must answer truthfully. Even if the officer doesn’t ask if you are carrying a firearm, being forthright about it enhances safety for you and the officer.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I saw that also.

The struggle is that the manual isn’t the ORC. Debrosse points out that it’s ambiguous going by the ORC.

I suppose in court I would absolutely argue “but but but the manual says!!!” but yeah anyway.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

It is a moment to thank those who helped us get here and celebrate a big scalp being taken.

Also a moment to re-calibrate, set a new goal, figure out how to level up and hold people to a higher standard.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I know we don't all share the same priorities concerning "What's next?" but carry in government buildings would delight me greatly. I've carried legally on my Ohio CHL in two state capitol buildings and several other government properties but none were in the Buckeye state.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:I know we don't all share the same priorities concerning "What's next?" but carry in government buildings would delight me greatly. I've carried legally on my Ohio CHL in two state capitol buildings and several other government properties but none were in the Buckeye state.
Hear, hear!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Agreed. I shouldn't have to disarm to go into buildings at the fairgrounds or going to the public library.
Often these "Government Buildings" ownership aren't clearly labeled and the general public can get caught up accidentally breaking the law.

As we've seen time and again, gun free zones are really criminal protection zones since they only keep out the law abiding.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

And it's a simple argument, that one's rights don't stop at a government door.

Thomas' NYSRPA ruling is a big help, on first blush.
https://twitter.com/GunOwners/status/1539981280808411138?cxt=HHwWhICxtZq0jt8qAAAA
Gun Owners of America
@GunOwners
Victory for the Second Amendment! “The Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home.”
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798