H.B. 317: UBC

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

H.B. 317: UBC

Post by rickt »

H. B. No. 317 - Representatives Robinson (D), Miller, A. (D)
Cosponsors: Representatives Boggs (D), Boyd (D), Brent (D), Brown (D), Crawley (D), Crossman (D), Denson (D), Hicks-Hudson (D), Howse (D), Ingram (D), Kelly (D), Kent (D), Leland (D), Lepore-Hagan (D), Lightbody (D), Liston (D), Miller, J. (D), Miranda (D), O'Brien (D), Russo (D), Sheehy (D), Skindell (D), Smith, K. (D), Sobecki (D), Strahorn (D), Sweeney (D), Sykes (D), Upchurch (D), Weinstein (D), West (D).

To amend sections 2929.28 and 5122.311 and to enact section 2923.26 of the Revised Code to enact the Protect Law Enforcement Act to require a firearm transfer to be made through a dealer, through a law enforcement agency, or pursuant to a specified exception, and to require a background check when a firearm is transferred.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 133-HB-317
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: H.B. 317: UBC

Post by WhyNot »

NO SURPRIZE

The ONLY ?? will be, if the Repubs will try to be....rrrrreasonable. Baaaalanced.

See, we can werk together; that was just what I was thinking. If I support your bill #2647, will you support my bill #8712, and lie to me later about not?

Oh I would like to add, would it have made a dif in Dayton and the adult answer is, NO
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Haven't most, if not all of the recent mass murderers had a background check when they bought their weapons? If so, what is this supposed to accomplish?
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Haven't most, if not all of the recent mass murderers had a background check when they bought their weapons? If so, what is this supposed to accomplish?
Furthering the anti-gun agenda of the political parjty. Notice, I did not specify 2 or more parjties. Birds of a feather are flocking together, taking a bath in the bird bath, poop in water, then drinking same water. Very unsavory, but hey, that's what birds do.

No seriously now, What is this to accomplish? The leftists are marching, and want to amend the Ohio constitution, if the (R)s capitulate in part to this HB 317.8~34*8, it makes the referendum moot. So, in political speak, they saved us. See? Aren't U thankful?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

M-Quigley wrote:Haven't most, if not all of the recent mass murderers had a background check when they bought their weapons? If so, what is this supposed to accomplish?
What this will accomplish is to prove, after more tragedy, that background checks by themselves are ineffective and we need universal registration which in turn, after still more tragedy, will convince the dependent class that only confiscation can save us. Think of the churn.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WestonDon wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Haven't most, if not all of the recent mass murderers had a background check when they bought their weapons? If so, what is this supposed to accomplish?
What this will accomplish is to prove, after more tragedy, that background checks by themselves are ineffective and we need universal registration which in turn, after still more tragedy, will convince the dependent class that only confiscation can save us. Think of the churn.
Except for firearms purchased after the UBC goes into effect, other than sting operations, UBC is unenforceable for private sales without registration.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

One thought: Since our CHL is allowable at gun dealers in leu of a background check, wouldn't it be acceptable to use those as the universal background check? It doesn't replace the 4473, but the UBC doesn't specify that just a background check. :?:

Loophole! :) Oops, now that'll be closed. :oops:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

wouldn't it be acceptable to use those as the universal background check?
U mean, like, private persons self governing without interference, but under simple government directioning,towards a goal? Seriously? No Lordships Lording over the common peasantry's every mooovement?

No way, that's not what Their Lordships doodoo
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Just finished reading the bill, and a few thing jumped out to me.

First, the new section 2923.26 (B) is entirely superfluous as it is already required by Federal law and a violation would result in Federal penalties including their revocation of their FFL.
(B) No federally licensed firearms dealer shall transfer a
firearm to any person unless the federally licensed firearms
dealer complies with the requirements of 18 U.S.C. 922(t).
Any FFL providing the service of facilitating a transfer under this bill has an additional burden as it requires them to conduct *two* background checks, one through the NICS system as they already do, as well as a *new* background check through the office of the Ohio Attorney General. You thought that sometimes the NICS system would get backed up and cause delays? Imagine the delays when the AG office gets backed up.

It limits the fee an FFL can charge for the service of facilitating the transfer to $10 - well below the going rate of $25 for an FFL transfer. Since this service is optional, and requires *more* work than a standard transfer, one wonders how many FFLs are going to provide the service.

There are no exceptions for family, not even immediate family, or persons with a valid CHL.

You also cannot legally let someone borrow your firearm while out shooting unless you are at a range "owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms;" so if you live out in the country and are shooting on your own property and let your son or your friend shoot your gun, you are a criminal.

Even letting someone borrow a gun at a shooting competition is illegal unless the competition is held "under the auspices of or approved by an agency of this state or a nonprofit organization;"

For that matter, the way I read the bill even letting anyone *hold your gun and look at it* without going through an FFL would be illegal under the plain wording of this bill.

What a total and complete pile of garbage.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

What a total and complete pile of garbage.
Well!

Don't U have any faith in your elected (R) parjty members? I mean it's obvious that the Gov has a chameleon skin jacket on, but, your trusted Rep? What would it....hey, my district is gonna get some $$$ outta this! 8) hmm...

No seriously. The suasage they KNOW you will not like because of onorous sections #2, 5, and 7,1, 12; 9, and 6 well, those get partially eliminated and the rest tweaked.

See? We saved you from the worst bill all the while saddling you with more more infringments. And your future generations

I CAN'T PAY $45000 FOR THAT CAR now now now waaaaait a minute! We have discount #1, program #6, and another ''dealer incentive''.See? Now it's oooonly $25K of which we will finance it out 35 years you payment is #135/mo 'bro.

All the while you could only afford $22large , but compared to $45000, well, $25K is a steal!

Bad car salesman tactic. See?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good