H.B. 178: Similar to HB 174 without 228 fix

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: H.B. 178: Similar to HB 174 without 228 fix

Post by JustaShooter »

WestonDon wrote:A third hearing is scheduled for next Wednesday May 8 for more proponent testimony and a possible amendment. I don't know what amendment is being contemplated but if history is any indication it could be a deal killer.
The amendment is likely to be a sponsor's amendment that is the result of us (OFCC) helping to make suggestions to improve it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I hope so.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

What a surprise.
OBERLIN — Oberlin City Council passed a resolution Monday night to stand against House Bills 174 and 178, which would lessen restrictions for concealed carry weapons.

Council President Bryan Burgess said he worked with the local chapter of Moms Demand Action, an advocacy group against gun violence to try to convince state legislators not to support the bills a few weeks ago in Columbus. Members from the group attended the meeting in support of the city’s resolution.
http://www.chroniclet.com/Local-News/20 ... tions.html
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

A wonderful joyous history of 2A positions...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=91885&hilit=oberlin+lawsuit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Connect the Dotz
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

HB 178 was amended in committee. Amendment is here:

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... 0354x1.pdf

This part is interesting.
"(B) If a person, board, or entity that owns or controls any place or premises identified in division (B)(6) or (7) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code as a place that may permit the licensee to carry a concealed deadly weapon, or a designee of such a person, board, or entity, does not post a sign as provided in division (A) of this section, it shall be presumed that the person, board, or entity that owns or controls the place or premises permits the licensee to carry a concealed deadly weapon
on the premises."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rickt wrote:HB 178 was amended in committee. Amendment is here:

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... 0354x1.pdf

This part is interesting.
"(B) If a person, board, or entity that owns or controls any place or premises identified in division (B)(6) or (7) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code as a place that may permit the licensee to carry a concealed deadly weapon, or a designee of such a person, board, or entity, does not post a sign as provided in division (A) of this section, it shall be presumed that the person, board, or entity that owns or controls the place or premises permits the licensee to carry a concealed deadly weapon
on the premises."
OFCC worked with the sponsor on this amendment, and this section was one of our suggestions (put forward by our membership). Makes figuring out which government subdivisions, churches, etc. are allowing carry straight forward - no sign, no harm, no foul.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Westerville passes resolution opposing HB 178

Post by kcclark »

For OFCC members who live in Westerville, this article will help you when it comes to election time. A bunch of RINOs running the city.
Westerville City Council voted Tuesday, May 21, to approve a resolution in opposition to Ohio House Bill 178, which eliminates certain concealed-carry requirements for firearms and other weapons.
https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20190 ... carry-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Article about yesterday's opponent testimony.
Lawmakers and dozens of opponents to a pro-gun bill squared off in an Ohio House committee over so-called “Constitutional Carry," HB178, which allows people to carry a concealed weapon without the need for a permit or training.

Amy Whitson is a trauma surgeon who teaches advanced trauma life support in Columbus. She says she’s seen first-hand the serious and fatal effects of gun violence, through the patients to which she’s tended.

“House Bill 178 would permit more people to carry out violent acts such as this,” says Whitson.
Rep. Ron Hood (R-Ashville), sponsor of the bill, takes issue with Whitson’s claim that it would mean more violence.

“Can you explain to me or show me how in HB178, how it permits people to carry out violent acts?” Hood asks.

Whitson replies, “So, by releasing needing a permit to carry a concealed weapon, more people will be able to carry concealed weapons into buildings and into schools and commit violent acts, it’s a direct line.”
https://www.statenews.org/post/conceale ... n-violence
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Whitson replies, “So, by releasing needing a permit to carry a concealed weapon, more people will be able to carry concealed weapons into buildings and into schools and commit violent acts, it’s a direct line.”
I hope one of the committee members challenged her on that - but I bet they didn't.
NRA Life Member

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The House Federalism committee will hold a 7th hearing on Tuesday June 19 and the agenda says "possible vote, possible amendment". There is an 8th hearing scheduled for Wednesday June 20 "if needed".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rickt wrote:The House Federalism committee will hold a 7th hearing on Tuesday June 19 and the agenda says "possible vote, possible amendment". There is an 8th hearing scheduled for Wednesday June 20 "if needed".
And in reference to that it has made the news.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/house-p ... H9nxFbJ6H/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Needs to be some sort of "gum control" regulation put on the House and Senate. By that I mean seven hearings so far, that's way too much gum flapping. This is why so many of the laws take an entire two year session to be dealt with.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Needs to be some sort of "gum control" regulation put on the House and Senate. By that I mean seven hearings so far, that's way too much gum flapping. This is why so many of the laws take an entire two year session to be dealt with.
This is actually *very* unusual in my experience. Since I've been helping OFCC in various roles, the pro-gun bill have typically only had half that many hearings in a the House. A sponsor testimony hearing, *one* proponent testimony hearing, *one* opponent testimony hearing, and an "interested party" testimony hearing. Agreed, it's way too much gum-flapping, but that's not why these bills typically take the entire two year session to work through the system.
NRA Life Member

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Does anybody know what happened today? There were 11 proposed amendments listed on the committee web site, almost all anti.

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/federalism
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Concealed carry instructor testifies against the bill.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... 725/kr.pdf
I have taught gun safety and CCW classes to about 13,000 people. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and I am also strongly opposed to House Bill 178 that would, in my opinion, put public safety as well as safety of legal gun carriers at risk.

I think you should know about what I see in teaching gun safety and CCW classes.

In most classes I teach, I meet people who, without these classes, could end up in the morgue or behind bars. There are many who don’t know the law and do not have the judgment as to when they can and cannot pull that gun out.