Sub HB 228 problem correction

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Sub HB 228 problem correction

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:Here is some action on the issue.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/sola ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you Senator Roegner
It will be interesting to see if the anti's come out of the woodwork to fight this.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
Chuck wrote:Here is some action on the issue.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/sola ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you Senator Roegner
It will be interesting to see if the anti's come out of the woodwork to fight this.
One of the most anti gun state Senators, Sen. Cecil Thomas, has already said it was a mistake. The R's control the exec and state legislative branches, so it wouldn't be effective, other than to score political points with their base.

WHIO TV in Dayton on their 6pm local news had a story on this mistake and how it could possibly make felons out of millions of law abiding gun owners.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Today was quite a productive day in the Statehouse

SB 53 was introduced by Senator Roegner and she gave sponsor testimony to the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee. They wouldn’t accept testimony from me or anyone else, and Chairman Senator Coley promised a vote by next week.
This bill used the language we have all seen and approve of.

HB 86 was introduced to day and is scheduled for it’s first hearing tomorrow in the House Federalism Committee chaired by our friend John Becker, at 11:30 am in Room 113.
A floor vote is expected Thursday. Very quick and I wonder if it’s possible.
The text of both bills are similar, but not identical. In any event, there is nothing that can't be reconciled once we get to the concurrence stage.

Carry on guys.
This is gonna happen
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Thanks for the report Chuck.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Just curious but why are the two bills different? They are supposed to be fixing the "typo". The can introduce other issues with other bills.

Chuck wrote:Today was quite a productive day in the Statehouse

SB 53 was introduced by Senator Roegner and she gave sponsor testimony to the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee. They wouldn’t accept testimony from me or anyone else, and Chairman Senator Coley promised a vote by next week.
This bill used the language we have all seen and approve of.

HB 86 was introduced to day and is scheduled for it’s first hearing tomorrow in the House Federalism Committee chaired by our friend John Becker, at 11:30 am in Room 113.
A floor vote is expected Thursday. Very quick and I wonder if it’s possible.
The text of both bills are similar, but not identical. In any event, there is nothing that can't be reconciled once we get to the concurrence stage.

Carry on guys.
This is gonna happen
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Chuck wrote: Carry on guys.
This is gonna happen
I no sooner hit "submit" and the phone rings to tell me that the House has cancelled for Wednesday and Thursday.
It appears we need some democrat votes.

Nothing is easy
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Chuck wrote:
This is gonna happen
I no sooner hit "submit" and the phone rings to tell me that the House has cancelled for Wednesday and Thursday.

Nothing is easy
Some democratic votes are needed to fix a mistake that would cause a condition that nearly all anti gun Democrats have publically called for? (a de facto gun ban?)

WHIO TV 's website has another article on this issue, and this time they interviewed members of the Black Swamp Oath Keepers who are allegedly planning a rally at the Statehouse on March 28th. The written article seemed to suggest they want the entire bill voted out instead of a fix. :?:

I take exception to this statement from the reporter at approx. 1:44 where she says "2nd Amendments advocates want the law thrown out altogether,"
She does say which alleged 2nd Amendment supporters she is referring to. I didn't hear the militia people interviewed say that on the video.

https://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/mi ... yyQ2i7g0H/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COLUMBUS — A bill passed in the Statehouse would inadvertently make a million Ohio gun owners lawbreakers.

Right now, there’s an effort underway to fix the error before the law takes effect next month.
And in the video the reporter uses the word "one million gun owners". Not sure where they are getting the "one million" number at. Based on a strict reading of the law IMO the number would be much higher than that.
While some want the law thrown out altogether, Antani said that’s not necessary to make a fix to the law.

“Our goal is to pass this before the March 28 deadline,” he said.

The amendment to the new bill would need to be introduced by March 20.
Antani said a plan to fix the mistake already was introduced Tuesday, and a hearing should be held soon.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:
This is gonna happen

Nothing is easy
I guess I'm just a suspicious type of guy, but how this happened is just suspicious. Could this mistake have been done purposely by someone in that area that has anti-gun feelings. If I were a Democrat I'd say "Gee, that's too bad" and let it ride.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Just curious but why are the two bills different? They are supposed to be fixing the "typo". The can introduce other issues with other bills.
The change to the law is identical in both bills. The difference is in the handling of how the bill will take effect. The Senate bill declares an emergency and has the bill take effect when HB228 does. The House bill does not declare an emergency, which means it won't take effect for 90 days after it is passed & signed, but contains language that makes it ally retroactively to any civil or criminal proceedings that happen as a result of HB228 taking effect.

There are questions about the constitutionality of the retroactive clause in HB86 - and my opinion is that it would not be constitutional but IANAL, etc. It also does not address the financial and other disruptions of a person caught up in the mess, so clearly the emergency bill would be better. It may be that the House bill was not made an emergency because they did not think they could get it passed since it takes 2/3 majority to pass emergency legislation and there aren't enough Republicans in the House to meet a 2/3 majority, it would require 5 Democrats to vote with them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'm not going to speculate, mostly because that doesn't help fix the problem.
This is the situation we are dealing with.

The big question is, do you guys know any democrats?
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I am told that Representative John Becker's Federalism committee just amended HB 86 to insert emergency language and PASSED it out of committee and onto the House floor!
This IS going to happen!
Ain't activism fun?

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Thanks for the explanation, JustaShooter.

Thanks for the work in making this happen and keeping us in the loop, Chuck.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Couldn't be there today so I missed the good parts!
Ain't activism fun?

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Looks like the Dems intend to be as obstructionist as possible. They even voted against sending HB 86 to the committee.
H. B. No. 86 - Representative Plummer
TO CORRECT A DRAFTING ERROR IN THE DEFINITION OF "DANGEROUS ORDNANCE" THAT RESULTED FROM AM. SUB. H.B. 228 OF THE 132ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY.
To the committee on Federalism
LARRY HOUSEHOLDER JIM BUTLER
JAMIE CALLENDER ANTHONY DEVITIS
JAY EDWARDS LAURA LANESE
BILL SEITZ
The following members voted "NO"
EMILIA STRONG SYKES KRISTIN BOGGS
PAULA HICKS-HUDSON KENT SMITH
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Carrot and stick.
Today they got the stick
Now we need carrot

(Just my supposition, I know nothing)
Ain't activism fun?