Well over 50 days since submitting ccw application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

llamadrama

Well over 50 days since submitting ccw application

Post by llamadrama »

I'm curious if anyone has experience with brown county regarding ccw' wait times. I'm aware that is rural compared to alot of counties in Ohio but I never expected it to take this long. It's been just about 2 months and I've failed to receive my ccw or hear anything from them at all. I tried calling to ask what's going on, I waited 2 days before finally getting a call back. I was told mail could possibly go out tomorrow and if I don't get something 2 weeks from now to give them another call. Is there anything I can do to speed this process up? I rarely hear about anyone waiting this long and it's starting to stress me out. I travel for work and my company frequently puts my wife and I up in very sketchy hotels in not so great areas.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Well over 50 days since submitting ccw application

Post by JustaShooter »

Under Ohio law they are required to issue the license or deny for cause in writing within 45 calendar days of receiving the application. I'd be tempted to go to the sheriff's office today and ask for the license and if given any runaround, ask to speak to the sheriff directly to be able to inform him that the CHL clerk is not performing their statutory duties under the law.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hi. Don't let it stress you out much. Thanks to newly passed "Constitutional carry", you don't need to wait for the license unprotected.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
llamadrama

Post by llamadrama »

Brian D. wrote:Hi. Don't let it stress you out much. Thanks to newly passed "Constitutional carry", you don't need to wait for the license unprotected.
If I spent most of my time in Ohio I really wouldn't be, as I said I travel full time for work. I've been in Houston TX for the past 4 months. Which is also why I can't just go to the sherrifs office. I have family members checking the mail for me daily. I was told they don't hand them out personally anyways, its all done through mail for some reason. I appreciate the replies
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

I went to 54 days on my first one.

The last time I renewed, I was denied on the basis that I had lied on my form.

What had ACTUALLY happened, is that a subtle change in the law had occurred. I had a conviction for aggravated menacing back in the 90's, when I had to point a gun at someone to stop him from seriously injuring or killing me, and this had been redefined as a crime of violence for the CCL form. So, even though it was far in excess of 3 years, I was declined. Interestingly, the deputy who did so cited the CCL Handbook, not the law.

In the end it cost me $1,000 for a lawyer to reach out to the prosecutors office to clear it all up and get me my renewal.

The point being that it is an imperfect system, staffed by imperfect people.

That being said, you do have the option of hiring an attorney, and getting a writ of mandamus.
What I did when mine went past 50 days was to reach out to the sheriff's office and POLITELY let them know that I really didn't want to go to that expense if I didn't have to, but that unless they could either produce the permit or provide a reasonable explanation for the delay, I was ultimately going to have to.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

EricTheBald - You sound like someone else.. EricTheTactful :)
Carry on.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Oh, I'm not really all that tactful.

I just know when to rein it in... :mrgreen:
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-