CCW Permit Renewal Past 45 Days

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mpickles

CCW Permit Renewal Past 45 Days

Post by mpickles »

I applied for my renewal in person in Lawrence County on 5/23, haven't heard back from them. As I recall, they have 45 calendar days, is that correct? I just tried calling down there a few minutes but the mailbox was full. Any tips for how to proceed?
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW Permit Renewal Past 45 Days

Post by JustaShooter »

Correct. Under Ohio law - ORC 2923.125 (D)(1) - the sheriff's office has 45 days to either issue the license or deny for cause in writing (and, since not otherwise specified, those are *calendar* days).

Unfortunately, when you are able to contact them, you really don't have many options. I'd start with mentioning the 45-day specification under the law, and noting that there are *no exceptions*, like for the background check being delayed (which is what I expect their excuse will be), etc. If that is their excuse, you might also explain that if something does come back in the background check, they can always revoke the license. Then, tell them that you are coming to pick up your license. If they tell you that you can't, one option would be to ask to speak to the actual County Sheriff so you can discuss with him how his staff is not in compliance with Ohio law. Or, ask to be transferred to the clerk of courts so you can file a writ of mandamus to compel them to fulfill their duties under the law. (This might *really* get their attention - nobody in government wants to have a judge rule against them like that...)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

I haven't had much time to circle back to this, but I've called a few times now and still gotten the same thing - dispatch transfers me to their office and a robotic voice tells me that the voicemail is full and hangs up. I finally had a spare minute so I called back, explained to the dispatcher that I've been trying to get ahold of them for a few weeks but their voicemail is always full and it's now been more than 2 months since I put in my renewal application. Dispatcher told me that the person who does the permits is available after noon a couple days a week and that I should just drop in when I get a moment. Guess I'm heading to Ironton on Sunday.
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Did you verify that the necessary person will be there on Sunday?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

Brian D. wrote:Did you verify that the necessary person will be there on Sunday?
Yes, Sunday was one of the days they listed as them being there.
- Mark Edge