Need certificate for renewal?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hkdjoe

Need certificate for renewal?

Post by hkdjoe »

My daughter went to Geauga County last month and was told to bring her certificate from the class and my son just made his appointment and it says the same thing.
I thought your old chl was all you needed to renew. My wife and I renewed in Geauga and we didn't need ours.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Need certificate for renewal?

Post by JustaShooter »

If they were renewing, they should not have needed their original certificate to renew. Ohio law only requires the application and fee to renew.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:If they were renewing, they should not have needed their original certificate to renew. Ohio law only requires the application and fee to renew.
We do get anecdotal evidence here once in a while that some counties feel froggy enough to add requirements beyond their legal authority. The excuse being something like "We had problems with instructor(s) not giving the entire class as required."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Jspit

Post by Jspit »

Brian D. wrote:
We do get anecdotal evidence here once in a while that some counties feel froggy enough to add requirements beyond their legal authority. The excuse being something like "We had problems with instructor(s) not giving the entire class as required."

So how do you deal with that? Go to a neighboring county? I would hate to have to go to the expense of hiring an attorney but I also wouldn’t want to let it stand.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm late to this thread.

There's a bit of disconnect between the reminder email sent and the actual website info. for Geauga renewal requirements.

While the website (correctly) does not show the need for the training certificate for renewals, the first email appointment reminder -I received two, this one came about 3 weeks prior to appointment date- incorrectly states that the renewal applicant needs to bring his/her training certificate. [My second reminder, arriving the day before the appointment, was just a time/place reminder.]

As the other members noted above, under current Ohio laws, renewals do not require their original training certificate.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio