New Resident with out of State License Questions

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Snafu57

New Resident with out of State License Questions

Post by Snafu57 »

Mods please move if this is the wrong forum.

I just moved here to Ohio last month from Pa I have a License to Carry a Firearm permit from PA that is good through the end of February. I know there is reciprocity between Ohio and Pa, but now that I am an Ohio resident am I still able to carry on my PA permit until I am able to obtain an Ohio CCW permit? I am scheduled to take a an Ohio CCW class but I just wanted to make sure I’m on the right side of the law in the mean time. Any help would be appreciated.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New Resident with out of State License Questions

Post by JustaShooter »

You can carry on your PA license for up to 6 months after establishing residence in Ohio. After that, you must either have an Ohio license or a license form a state that has a written reciprocity agreement.

See ORC 109.69 (B)(1) and (B)(2)
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Snafu57

Post by Snafu57 »

Thanks for the info. That’s good to know.

I live in Summit county and after checking their website they are not taking CCW applications until January of 2021. I’m assuming I’m stuck waiting on them to have availability or can I apply in another county?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

You can apply in ny county that borders your county of residence. Keep checking the schedules, you may be able to catch a cancellation and get in sooner.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!