Renewal without the physical license

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Beezer

Renewal without the physical license

Post by Beezer »

My license expired 5 years ago, short version, had a few surgeries and was unable to renew at the time. My license was lost/destroyed in a flood we had in our basement along with other important family documents. How do I go about renewing and getting a new license issued? I still have my certs from the class I took. Any suggestions on proceeding? Should I contact Cuyahoga county sheriffs office and ask or is it better to resubmit the certs I have?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Renewal without the physical license

Post by JustaShooter »

There is no requirement in Ohio law for you to have/show/give your expired license to renew. They can look you up in the system to see that you were issued a license in the past and therefore eligible for renewal. Unfortunately, some counties have extralegal requirements they impose like that one. Assuming your county or a bordering county is accepting renewal applications, it would be worth contacting them to see what their requirements are and explain your situation.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Beezer

Post by Beezer »

Thank you!
Beezer

Post by Beezer »

FYI.... if you no longer have your expired license, you need to file a police report stating it was lost or damaged and bring the police report with you to your renewal appointment. My wife shredded mine thinking it was no good since it was expired. Cuyahoga county required me to file a report.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... Cuyahoga is making {inappropriate language} up then.
Beezer wrote:FYI.... if you no longer have your expired license, you need to file a police report stating it was lost or damaged and bring the police report with you to your renewal appointment. My wife shredded mine thinking it was no good since it was expired. Cuyahoga county required me to file a report.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.