Non-Resident CHL Question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

PainCakes

Non-Resident CHL Question

Post by PainCakes »

I've got a possibly interesting situation. I'm interested in obtaining an OH CHL. I've been a student here in OH for 3 years and have resided here for the entirety of that time. I have done work study jobs for the university while I've been here as well, though I'm not sure how much that actually matters. I've also purchased handguns while in OH due to being considered a resident of OH in accordance with ATF policy as a full time student. That said, I still possess an out of state driver's license.

I have an OR resident and PA non-resident CHL and am interested in the OH license due spending most of my time here. It states that you must "work" in OH to be considered, but I'm not sure if my situation prevents me from being able to get an OH license. If needed, I can prove that I've lived in OH and maintain a residence here for an extended time.

Anyone have any experience or input on this? Thanks.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Non-Resident CHL Question

Post by JustaShooter »

It seems to me you would be considered an Ohio resident for the purposes of obtaining an Ohio CHL, especially since you have been able to purchase firearms while here. Of course, IANAL and I don't have direct experience, so I'm hoping someone who does will chime in.

Edit: This may be one of the few times I'd suggest contacting the CHL clerk at your local sheriff's office and ask them...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Non-Resident CHL Question

Post by Sevens »

Interesting that a gun store or FFL has accepted proof of residency from you, most won't accept ANY form of ID of any sort unless it is issued by a government agency.

I would also say that the Ohio BMV has the firm thought that you should obtain an Ohio driver's license, given your situation. Legally, I am not certain, but the Ohio BMV would prefer the revenue that they could get from you considering how long you've been here.

Lastly... I doubt that any Ohio Sheriff is likely to issue you a CHL without proof of residency, and I bet that your driver's license will be the main topic of conversation.

I'll be interested in hearing how this develops. And for what it's worth, although the law and the rules are (or should be) clearly defined, the Sheriff that you deal with won't necessarily execute things properly.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!