Early Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FIIK

Early Renewal

Post by FIIK »

Is it possible to renew my CHL early?

My CHL expires in November of this year. I thought I saw something about early renewals are allowed now, but I'm not sure. It would be nice if it is true since I am on vacation next week, instead of taking time off to get it taken care of in October.
djthomas

Re: Early Renewal

Post by djthomas »

Yes. Your new license will be valid five years from the date it is renewed, so you're losing six months which equates to about five bucks. If that's OK with you then have at!
FIIK

Post by FIIK »

Thanks for the information.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:Yes. Your new license will be valid five years from the date it is renewed, so you're losing six months which equates to about five bucks. If that's OK with you then have at!
I don't understand why that's done. Pay for five years we should get five years. I renew my driver's license ahead of my birthday, the BMV doesn't change my birthday.

Also don't understand why some counties require exact change to get or renew my CHL when using cash. Does the sheriff not trust their clerk to run the cash register honestly? Betcha if I came in to pay parking tickets, fines, bail for someone, they would be allowed to make change.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
djthomas wrote:Yes. Your new license will be valid five years from the date it is renewed, so you're losing six months which equates to about five bucks. If that's OK with you then have at!
I don't understand why that's done. Pay for five years we should get five years. I renew my driver's license ahead of my birthday, the BMV doesn't change my birthday.
Actually, they sorta do. If you renew within 90 days of your renewal birthday, your driver's license is good for 4 years. If you renew more than 90 days ahead, it's only good for 3 years. So they short change you a full year by renewing too early.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Never knew anyone who renewed their DL more than 90 days early. I get why someone might do it, just never knew anyone who did it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:Never knew anyone who renewed their DL more than 90 days early. I get why someone might do it, just never knew anyone who did it.
Back when I was 20 a few dumb kids did it thinking they'd get an "over 21" license. Not only did they lose a year, but it was still a red license and had "Under 21 until XX/XX/XXXX" stamped on it. That actually caused them further problems after they turned 21 because bouncers were turning them away at the mere sight of a red border. So most of them paid to get a replacement license, with the kicker being that the replacement had the same expiration as the renewal so they didn't get that fourth year back.

I'd done my research and learned that if I renewed 31-60 days before I'd get the "over 21" license, and a four year term. It would, however, have "Under 21 until..." stamped on it. However if I renewed 1-30 days before I'd get an "over 21" license free and clear. I renewed at day 29.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Actually, they sorta do. If you renew within 90 days of your renewal birthday, your driver's license is good for 4 years. If you renew more than 90 days ahead, it's only good for 3 years. So they short change you a full year by renewing too early.
There's something I wasn't aware of. But then, while I've renewed my license late, I've never been early. :oops:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sodbuster95 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: Actually, they sorta do. If you renew within 90 days of your renewal birthday, your driver's license is good for 4 years. If you renew more than 90 days ahead, it's only good for 3 years. So they short change you a full year by renewing too early.
There's something I wasn't aware of. But then, while I've renewed my license late, I've never been early. :oops:
Me either, but my next renewal needs to be early so I can get my official travel papers from the govt...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!