Qualifying Training: USCCA?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

RebelGal

Qualifying Training: USCCA?

Post by RebelGal »

I’ve read that Ohio Counties may be accepting training from USCCA-certified instructors. I’m curious if this is so and in which Counties. Thanks!
SIG P229 SAS Gen 2, Glock 19 Gen 4, SIG P365
Member NRA, USCCA

Sic semper tyrannis
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Qualifying Training: USCCA?

Post by JustaShooter »

My understanding is that they all should accept training by USCCA-certified instructors since USCCA is "a national gun advocacy organization" as specified in ORC 2923.125 as one of the qualifications for an instructor. As long as the content they teach meets the requirements in the same section of Ohio law, all should be good.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The law you mention started when, JaS? Was it about 2015? In the last couple days I saw posts elsewhere in which sheriff's offices were still insisting the class be NRA (or OPOTA) based.

Really not surprised when LE officials don't keep up, we've both seen that a bunch.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian, I'm pretty sure that was part of HB 234, which took effect 3/23/2015.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Interesting question though, how does the sheriff determine if an organization is a national gun advocacy organization; and can they come to different conclusions? I see nothing in the law addressing uniformity, etc.