Lifetime prohibition?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Westsider

Re: Lifetime prohibition?

Post by Westsider »

I'm looking at the second part of the sentence not just the first- which says OR. Reading that first section it says, it's either you get the records expunged (no longer an option from what I understand) OR the state restores your civil rights after completing your sentence- such as being able to vote or sit on a jury.

(1) under the law of the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred, the person has been pardoned, the conviction has been expunged or set aside,or the person has had their civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) taken away and later restored AND (2) the person is not prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred...

At least places like Florida or Illinois of all places- have sunset provisions for past offenses. Maybe that's where the focus needs to be next- including sunset provisions.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ohio doesn't have a sunset provision, so that doesn't change anything.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Westsider

Post by Westsider »

Well OP it looks like Senate Bill 66 passed a couple years ago which now allows you to seal up to five felonies- so perhaps talk to an attorney that specializes in that type of law.

The guys on this board sound mostly like Democrat Fudds working hard to close loopholes of freedom but don't let them get you down.

For the record I'm neither a Democrat nor a Fudd, just some guy that enjoys freedom and the American way.

Westsider.

https://www.ohioexpungementlaw.com/senate-bill-66/