CCW Permit Requirments for Veterans.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Coffeedave

CCW Permit Requirments for Veterans.

Post by Coffeedave »

Dose a Verteran have to take a CCW Class to get a CCW Permit or just show that he was in the Military ?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW Permit Requirments for Veterans.

Post by JustaShooter »

According to Ohio law, Veterans need to show equivalent training or take the class. However, some sheriff's offices only ask for a DD214 to waive the training requirement so much depends on where you apply.

Oh, and if you wait until after November 5th you don't have to pay the license fee regardless of your prior training.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JustaShooter wrote:According to Ohio law, Veterans need to show equivalent training or take the class. However, some sheriff's offices only ask for a DD214 to waive the training requirement so much depends on where you apply.
That's interesting. Keep in mind if a later review points out this is not in accordance with the law (which it isn't) all those CHLs may get pulled unless the holders can document equivalent training as required by law.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

JustaShooter wrote:Oh, and if you wait until after November 5th you don't have to pay the license fee regardless of your prior training.
What about renewal fees?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gramps wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Oh, and if you wait until after November 5th you don't have to pay the license fee regardless of your prior training.
What about renewal fees?
Same.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I believe the state is allocating 1.5 million a year to cover the costs for veteran's CHL's and renewals. Once that is used up, I would imagine they would have to pay.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:I believe the state is allocating 1.5 million a year to cover the costs for veteran's CHL's and renewals. Once that is used up, I would imagine they would have to pay.
Good point - that $1.5mil will only cover 22 - 30k of new licenses and renewals. I really don't know what percentage of the 600k licensees in Ohio qualify of the fee waiver.
NRA Life Member

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I believe the state is allocating 1.5 million a year to cover the costs for veteran's CHL's and renewals. Once that is used up, I would imagine they would have to pay.
Good point - that $1.5mil will only cover 22 - 30k of new licenses and renewals. I really don't know what percentage of the 600k licensees in Ohio qualify of the fee waiver.
867,240 Veterans from an online source
11,000.000ish population Ohio from an online source
Anyone know how many licensed carriers there are?
1.5 million per year to pay the fees
Math should be easy for a HS grad with the number of licensed carriers assuming Vets CCW numbers follow general population percentages
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

About 625,000 Ohio licensed carriers, as of a couple months ago. And on the rise.

Don't want to hazard a guess as to how many are vets.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gramps wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
867,240 Veterans from an online source
11,000.000ish population Ohio from an online source
Anyone know how many licensed carriers there are?
1.5 million per year to pay the fees
Math should be easy for a HS grad with the number of licensed carriers assuming Vets CCW numbers follow general population percentages
If the percentages are similar between the general population and licensed carriers, that works out to about 7.88% or about 49,000 licensed veterans. However, if you look at the population of Ohioans 21 and over (about 8 million), then veterans represent close to 11%, which would be about 67,500 licensed veterans. Figuring the distribution is roughly equal across the 5-year life of a license the makes it about 13.5k renewals per year, so even if the number of licensed veterans is double that (perfectly believable since they are veterans) there should still be room to provide most, if not all of the veterans with free licenses.
NRA Life Member

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I would imagine there will be a lot of veterans renewing early.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

pirateguy191 wrote:I would imagine there will be a lot of veterans renewing early.
YEP! Me be one!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
YoteHuntr

Post by YoteHuntr »

Gramps wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I would imagine there will be a lot of veterans renewing early.
YEP! Me be one!

Ahkhk! I had to renew in Jan 2018, so I missed the boat and had to pay again. Hopefully, by 2023, the legal/political environment won't get worse.
U.S.A.F. Retired (1974-1998)
NRA Endowment Life Member
OFCC Member
USCCA Member
Handloader 34 years
EDC Gun: Ruger LC9s, SR9c and/or LCP