Training question for CHL

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xxxamishxxx

Training question for CHL

Post by xxxamishxxx »

I have a friend that is wanting to get his CHL and was asking if he had to take take training. He worked as a deputy for a short time and went thru OPOTA Peace office training but his commission expired in 2009.

I reviewed ORC 2923.125

(e) A certificate or another similar document that evidences satisfactory completion of a firearms training, safety, or requalification or firearms safety instructor course, class, or program that is not otherwise described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (d) of this section, that was conducted by an instructor who was certified by an official or entity of the government of this or another state or the United States or by a national gun advocacy organization, and that complies with the requirements set forth in division (G) of this section;

(g) A document that evidences that the applicant has successfully completed the Ohio peace officer training program described in section 109.79 of the Revised Code.

Is there a time limit or expiration on that training? its been 9 year since he had a commission. Or does he need to take a class.

In my opinion I told him to take the class just as a refresher but his time is limited due to working out of state and wants to be with his family when he is at home..
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
pirateguy191

Re: Training question for CHL

Post by pirateguy191 »

I would imagine it's 3 years just like the rest of us. The 20 hour OPOTA, I believe, counts towards the CHL requirement in Ohio.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Section (3), where you found the parts you quoted, begins with this:
(3) One or more of the following competency certifications, each of which shall reflect that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), (e), or (f) of this section, within the three years immediately preceding the application the applicant has performed that to which the competency certification relates and that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(d) of this section, the applicant currently is an active or reserve member of the armed forces of the United States or within the ten years immediately preceding the application the honorable discharge or retirement to which the competency certification relates occurred:
So, since it has been more than 3 years since he took the OPOTA course, he must take the class.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

I saw that but I was thinking that since it only mentioned military...
But I will relay that info to him and tell him to take the class...

JustaShooter wrote:Section (3), where you found the parts you quoted, begins with this:
(3) One or more of the following competency certifications, each of which shall reflect that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), (e), or (f) of this section, within the three years immediately preceding the application the applicant has performed that to which the competency certification relates and that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(d) of this section, the applicant currently is an active or reserve member of the armed forces of the United States or within the ten years immediately preceding the application the honorable discharge or retirement to which the competency certification relates occurred:
So, since it has been more than 3 years since he took the OPOTA course, he must take the class.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Taking the class, even if only for an overview of current law, is always a smart thing to do, regardless the requirement.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

jeep45238 wrote:Taking the class, even if only for an overview of current law, is always a smart thing to do, regardless the requirement.
I totally agree.. can never go wrong with training more.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Back in 2004 I tried to get 'em to take my OPOTA certification....

Seems that 1967-1968 wasn't current enough....

Makes me crazy sometimes - the kid's education was interesting. Stuff that I considered "current events" was "ancient history" to her.

IAC, the course was worth the time, if a bit of a PITA. Met some nice people, and learned a few things. The CHL law in 2004 was seriously crazy in spots. Still is, but not nearly as bad as it was then.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם