Franklin County Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Blue Skies

Franklin County Renewal

Post by Blue Skies »

Franklin County renewal:

4th application, 3 previous all in Madison county. This was my first in Franklin county.

When I started out years ago, Madison county seemed easier and less of a hassle to do my original and subsequent renewals than Franklin County even with the drive out of Columbus. No appointment required in Madison County but always had to make two trips, one to apply and one to pick up. Always pleasant and usually had my callback to pick up in 1 week to 15 days. Relatively a painless process sans the two trips.

I figured it was time to give Franklin County a go.

Appointment required, very easily done online through their portal. Seems to be a minimum of two days out on the schedule but once you get to a day they schedule blocks pretty much every 15 or 20 minutes so I had lots of slots to pick from starting at like 7am. They even offer to send out a reminder e-mail and had the option for a reminder text of my appointment.

I picked 9:20am. This became somewhat important as unbeknownst to me most of the Parking meters around the CHL office don't become active until 9am. They are no parking zones before 9. I parked around the corner at 9am and plugged it for an hour, $1.00. There is parking in the garages nearby, my guess is probably 5 to 10 bucks but I'm not sure.

Walked in and was greeted by a deputy who asked if he could help me. I explained I was there to renew my CHL. He asked if I had an appointment, verified my name on his list and verified that I had the correct amount of cash or a certified check or money order....exact change only, no credit cards or personal checks.

After a security screening, x-ray belt and magnetometer, I was sent in to the office.

Was greeted and called up within 2 minutes. The deputy? went through my paperwork collected my money and old CHL. I became a little concerned as it seemed as though he was "taking" my old license so I queried him that if they keep my license I can't carry until they issue and I retrieve my new one? His reply, oh we try to get you processed and issue before you leave....if there is some kind of delay where we can't "clear" you, we will give you this one back till we can issue your new one. COOL!

One thing to note, My CHL didn't expire until 5/something/2018.....my new CHL issued 3/29/2018 and expires 3/29/23. So by being efficient and giving myself plenty of time for "the process", I lost 2 months of my last renewal. No biggie for me but if it is important to you, be aware.

Anyway, I walked back to my car with my shiny new Franklin County issued CHL with no more than 25 minutes ticked off the meter!

As a renewal in a "new county" I did have to supply a new 2"X2" "passport type" photo which I won't have to do next time. I guess I don't understand why you have to give them one because they take a new digital photo for the actual CHL and they supposedly don't keep any of the paper information but I came prepared anyway with it per their website instructions. Be sure to review the page when you schedule your appointment as it seems as cordial as they were to me, if you miss a tick you will be turned away until you can comply will all of the requirements.

As I left he said have a great day, I'll see you in five years! Yes, yes you will!
Brian D.

Re: Franklin County Renewal

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, that "early renewal = earlier expiration" seems like a rip off. Renew your plates or driver's license a month early, they still expire on your birthday.

I brought this up to my state Representative one time, he shrugged it off.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

This has to be close (if not) the record on a renewal.

My appointment was at 11:00 am.... and I walked out 7 minutes later, with new card in hand.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Six Shooter wrote:This has to be close (if not) the record on a renewal.

My appointment was at 11:00 am.... and I walked out 7 minutes later, with new card in hand.
Did you get shorted on the five years because you renewed early? Or, did you not renew early? That's starting to bug me a little bit, as I stated above.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Brian D. wrote:
Six Shooter wrote:This has to be close (if not) the record on a renewal.

Did you get shorted on the five years because you renewed early? Or, did you not renew early? That's starting to bug me a little bit, as I stated above.

I was 6 days early ?

But, that was by choice.. because of the Holiday and my work schedule.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

If they give you the extra time left on your renewal, I think it might mess up our CHLs being "NICS Compliant" or whatever they call it. I suppose they could expire the NICS part on 5 years from issue but give you more time to carry.. But it seems like that could get messy.