renewal after a lapse

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

herp_man2003

renewal after a lapse

Post by herp_man2003 »

Hi all been a year or so since i have been on and posted. I have let my licence lapse and was wondering what i needed to do to get a new licence. I tossed my old card because it was pretty much destroyed from living in my wallet. Will my issuing county still have that info or am i going to have to take another class? Thanks Anthony
pirateguy191

Re: renewal after a lapse

Post by pirateguy191 »

No class is needed. Do you have your original certificate?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Thought the certificates were only good for a certain number of years? If the CHL is that far expired, the certificate may be as well?

Wife is in a similar boat. We both got our CHLs in Medina Co. We moved shortly after our 1st renewal so we had notified Medina of the address change. After the move, our truck got broken into and her purse was stolen with her CHL in it. She never managed to get up to Medina to get a replacement CHL issued. Our 2nd renewal was last month. I renewed here in Miami Co. But, we aren't sure what to do about hers. She is now expired on her Medina CHL. Can't renew in Medina as we no longer live there or an adjacent county. Can't renew in Miami as she doesn't have the expired CHL to show as proof. She's got both of our training certificates filed away from what 10 years ago?

She didn't carry very often but would be nice to get her current again.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

You can renew with the expired license or original certificate. The three years is only the time limit to get the original license.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I maybe sol because i cant seem to find my original certificate. Is Charbin still on the forums he is who did my class. Thanks Anthony
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

In theory, neither *should* be required. The law doesn't say anything about providing the old license or certificate. It simply says you can renew any time after expiration, and you must provide the application, the fee, and certification that you have read the pamphlet. That's it.

ORC 2923.125 (F) (1)
(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
In fact, section (2) specifically says that's all that is needed:
(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) and (3) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.
Unless I'm missing something, the Sheriff can't require anything else.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

herp_man2003 wrote:I maybe sol because i cant seem to find my original certificate. Is Charbin still on the forums he is who did my class. Thanks Anthony
Charben is still here.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

Thanks pirateguy. Been side tracked last year or so with a car project. Working on a 62 falcon. Sent him a pm see if we can work something out. Thanks again Anthony
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Tried to renew mine in the county I now live in, and they told me that they could not do it without a copy of my original training certificate (which is somewhere lost from the move). I have my expired CHL, however they say that they need my instructor information and this is not shared between counties.
My original county does not accept walkins, and so far is over a month backlogged on appointments.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

evan price wrote:Tried to renew mine in the county I now live in, and they told me that they could not do it without a copy of my original training certificate (which is somewhere lost from the move). I have my expired CHL, however they say that they need my instructor information and this is not shared between counties.
My original county does not accept walkins, and so far is over a month backlogged on appointments.
Frankly, that's bunk. If you have/had a CHL, it is in the system, which is proof you qualified. These Sheriffs that think they and make up the law to suit themselves are starting to really annoy me. Unfortunately, it will take someone willing to spend some lawyer money to fix it, and it will likely be a one county at a time effort.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Thanks, I'll pass it along. Much appreciated.
JustaShooter wrote:In theory, neither *should* be required. The law doesn't say anything about providing the old license or certificate. It simply says you can renew any time after expiration, and you must provide the application, the fee, and certification that you have read the pamphlet. That's it.

ORC 2923.125 (F) (1)
(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
In fact, section (2) specifically says that's all that is needed:
(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) and (3) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.
Unless I'm missing something, the Sheriff can't require anything else.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JustaShooter wrote:
evan price wrote:Tried to renew mine in the county I now live in, and they told me that they could not do it without a copy of my original training certificate (which is somewhere lost from the move). I have my expired CHL, however they say that they need my instructor information and this is not shared between counties.
Frankly, that's bunk. If you have/had a CHL, it is in the system, which is proof you qualified. These Sheriffs that think they and make up the law to suit themselves are starting to really annoy me. Unfortunately, it will take someone willing to spend some lawyer money to fix it, and it will likely be a one county at a time effort.

They have 45 days too, right? :wink:

herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I emailed Sandusky county sheriffs office where i got my licence from and it seems that they will probably renew for me without my certificate. I will post back with what happens.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

herp_man2003 wrote:I emailed Sandusky county sheriffs office where i got my licence from and it seems that they will probably renew for me without my certificate. I will post back with what happens.
As they should. You.......don't do that again. :wink:

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:
Justa is correct about the 'bunk', Evan.

What county did you try to renew in?

I would LOVE to give them a...phone call.

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes