How recent does the 8 hour training have to be?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rcsob657

How recent does the 8 hour training have to be?

Post by rcsob657 »

Hello again,

I'm starting my move and am curious about one aspect of getting a OH CCW permit. I have looked and can't find definitive law so I figured I'd ask, how recent does the training have to be? For example, will my GA POST training certificates back from 2005 be sufficient? Even with my current state's Weapons Liscense being recognized and all valid as an out-of-state equivalent, I'll be without a weapon for a while so I have time and can just take another course when the time comes, I was simply wondering if I actually had to.

Thanks,

David Hopper
JediSkipdogg

Re: How recent does the 8 hour training have to be?

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'd have to double check, but I believe that part didn't change so the certificate must have been within 3 years of date of applying.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

A training certificate is good for 3 years - but if I'm reading it right, you have a training certificate from GA, not OH. It is unlikely that a GA certificate would satisfy the requirements for an OH CHL even if it was issued within the past 3 years.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

The little paperwork packet from the OH Attny Gen suggests OOS things would suffice, it just didn't mention time frames. Thanks folks.

Oh, just to clear up any confusion. I was talking about a 24 hr cert I took for the GA POST so I would have assumed it would have fulfilled the actual classroom and live-fire requirements. It's out of date though, so I'll just do the 8 hr class when the time comes. Thanks again.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

It wouldn't apply anyway, because in order for a training certificate to be valid for an Ohio CHL it must specifically attest to the following:

The course, class, or program the applicant successfully completed meets the requirements described in division Ohio Revised Code 2923.125(G)(1) and the applicant passed the competency examination described in Ohio Revised Code 2923.125(G)(2).

Unless there's a statement to that effect on an out of state training certification (or an in-state one, for that matter) it isn't valid for an Ohio CHL.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:It wouldn't apply anyway, because in order for a training certificate to be valid for an Ohio CHL it must specifically attest to the following:

The course, class, or program the applicant successfully completed meets the requirements described in division Ohio Revised Code 2923.125(G)(1) and the applicant passed the competency examination described in Ohio Revised Code 2923.125(G)(2).

Unless there's a statement to that effect on an out of state training certification (or an in-state one, for that matter) it isn't valid for an Ohio CHL.
Specifically:
R.C. 2923.125(G)(4) The competency certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall be dated and shall attest that the course, class, or program the applicant successfully completed met the requirements described in division (G)(1) of this section and that the applicant passed the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section.
As per R.C. 2923.125 (B)(3)(f), you could have an out of state instructor review the Ohio requirements and issue a letter certifying if their course meets Ohio's requirements.
2923.125 (B)(3)(f) An affidavit that attests to the applicant's satisfactory completion of a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section and that is subscribed by the applicant's instructor or an authorized representative of the entity that offered the course, class, or program or under whose auspices the course, class, or program was offered;
Providing the student with the Ohio AG Concealed Carry Manual is the only Ohio-specific requirement.
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Actually, only the URL where the handbook can be found is all that is required,,,,

(G)

(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found.

ORC 2923.125
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)