serious renewal delay question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Herr Mario

serious renewal delay question

Post by Herr Mario »

5 years ago here in Preble County my wife applied for and received her conceal carry license after a 3 week delay because the City of Cleveland had a record of her being held overnight on suspicion of credit card forgery which was a mistaken identity and she was cleared and not charged waaaaaay back in 1972...she received her license...5 weeks ago she applied for renewal in Preble and has still not received an answer or renewal...the officer in charge here in Preble remembered her and is the same one as when she first applied and says the hangup is for the same reason as before and its out of his hands...can anyone suggest what we can do about this BS and who to talk to...her license has now expired...any advise appreciated
...typical 'bitter clinger'...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: serious renewal delay question

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yep. Here is what you do...

After waiting for 45 days, have your wife call the Sheriff's office on the 46th day and ask them why they haven't issued her license yet.

How they answer dictates your next action.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

As far as being expired, there is a 30-day grace period for an Ohio CHL, so she can still carry legally (within Ohio).

What to do in the future?

Renew earlier. You can renew up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of the CHL. You would then have 45 days to wait for the Sheriff and an additional 45 days in which to appeal a denial AND STILL HAVE the 30-day grace period.
MyWifeSaidYes
Herr Mario

Post by Herr Mario »

....thank you very much for that info-much appreciated....it will be 45 days the 1st week of July,and even though they are a nice bunch of folks there I fear the answer will be the same as last time"its out of our hands-its up to the folks that do the backround checking"....is there something I've missed as far as that they must issue after a certain time...?...I've never had to go thru this 'territory' before...when I renewed mine I got the call to come pick mine up less than 24 hrs after I submitted it...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The only thing I can think of is that Cuyahoga county is dragging their feet providing your county with requested records. :?

Your sheriff has 45 days to either issue or deny. They need to have a valid reason to deny.

2923.125(D)(1) Except as provided in division (D)(3) of this section, within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section,...

(D)(3) If the sheriff with whom an application for a concealed handgun license was filed under this section becomes aware that the applicant has been arrested for or otherwise charged with an offense that would disqualify the applicant from holding the license, the sheriff shall suspend the processing of the application until the disposition of the case arising from the arrest or charge.
MyWifeSaidYes
Herr Mario

Post by Herr Mario »

...thanks.....I'll report back the news when that time comes....seems like someone isnt doing their job up there :roll: ....nothing has changed since she was issued her first-why theres some hangup this time is a bit ridiculous....and my wife (also known as She Who Must Be Obeyed) is not a happy camper,and as we all know,when the wifey is not happy-NOBODY is happy... :shock:
Herr Mario

Post by Herr Mario »

This is Mario's wife, Diane Tonkli. I did not hear anything from the Preble County Sheriff's office since I applied for my conceal carry renewal 49 days ago. I called them this morning. The response was that he is still waiting to hear from the people that do the background check. He sent them an e-mail yesterday. I told him it was past the 45 day limit and he said that those people do not care about the 45 day limit. He stated that he has had previous applications take over 2 months. So i basically have to wait for them to respond to the sheriff. Why do they not have to follow the law? And any advice would be appreciated. thank you.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

One thing you could do that incurs no cost except time is to talk with the Preble County Board of Commissioners (the sheriff's bosses) about this unlawful delay. The problem may indeed all be at The Cuyahoga County end but the law is still the law. And perhaps on the same trip, you could have a chat with the Preble County Clerk of Courts office. Ask them the particulars of filing a writ of mandamus and make sure they know WHY you might feel compelled to do so. That would force the sheriff to explain to a judge why the license hasn't been issued or denied yet. It costs money to file one, but not to ask about it.

In a smaller county such as that, the employees certainly know each other, and it likely wouldn't be five minutes after you left the Clerk's office that the phone would be ringing down the hall or wherever the sheriff's office is.

By the way, I am very old school and believe that in-person communication when you have such a legitimate gripe is still by far the most effective way to go.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Listen to Brian D's advice.

I would also maybe recommend calling the Sheriff's office back and asking to speak to the next level up. I would venture you are probably speaking to a deputy and maybe a Sergeant. Those people have bosses too without going all the way to the commissioners quite yet.

Them waiting on another county is no excuse.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Listen to Brian D's advice.

I would also maybe recommend calling the Sheriff's office back and asking to speak to the next level up. I would venture you are probably speaking to a deputy and maybe a Sergeant. Those people have bosses too without going all the way to the commissioners quite yet.
You are right Jedi, I just didn't know how far up the chain in the sheriff's office Mario and Diane had gone so far. But I do know that Preble County is a relatively small place population wise, the SO can't have all that many tiers of hierarchy. Heck it can't be very hard to track down the sheriff him/her self at meal time, Eaton only has so many restaurants. :)

From previous threads I recall Preble being slow as molasses at times in the past, due to having only ONE person trained to handle CHL related tasks. Working for a small municipal agency myself, I never understand what the hang up is with some bosses about not having several people at least vaguely familiar with a multitude of job duties. It's like they're afraid of someone being "smarter" than they are, which ironically is already the case sometimes. (Oh, no, I didn't mean me personally... :lol: )
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Herr Mario

Post by Herr Mario »

...well gentlemen...this afternoon my wife received a call from the Preble County folks telling her her permit is ready to pick up....no explanation/reason/excuse for the abnormal delay.....at this point she was just so happy and relieved she just said thanks and hung up...she is now happy...when she happy-everybody happy...a very sincere thank you to all of you that who helped out with info and suggestions
lash44

Post by lash44 »

I have learned that it is 45 business days and, not calendar days that Cuyohaga County goes by. That being said, CUYOHAGA COUNTY is totally INEPT!!