Uncharacterized discharge

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wolfie_47

Uncharacterized discharge

Post by wolfie_47 »

My daughter wants to apply for her CHL and has taken the required course and has the certificate however, she is concerned that she had entered the National Guard out of high school and was discovered to have a medical issue that resulted in an Uncharacterized discharge. Separation code JFW; Failure to meet procurement medical fitness standards. She is concerned that this is the same as a dishonorable discharge (and it probably felt that way to her). Will this cause an issue with her NICS check? All the information I have found says no but I thought someone here may have already been through this. Any thoughts?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Uncharacterized discharge

Post by sodbuster95 »

An uncharacterized discharge - AKA, Entry Level Separation ("ELS") - is not a dishonorable discharge. It means merely that the individual was separated from service prior to serving 180 days. Generally speaking, these discharges are given to applicants who are disqualified from service at the time of enlistment but, for whatever reason, that disqualification was not discovered prior to enlistment.

This type of discharge is neither negative nor positive (hence, "uncharacterized") and should have no effect on anything. In effect, it's as though they never enlisted in the first place (though not quite that simple). The separation code and RE-code will provide further insight into why the discharge occurred and what, if any, eligibility may exist for future service. Usually, any subsequent enlistment will require a waiver for the underlying disqualifying condition.

In your daughter's case, the separation code of "JFW" means = "Erroneous enlistment; Medical condition disqualifying for military service, with no medical waiver approved." If she were interested in attempting to re-enlist, she would need a medical waiver for whatever that condition is.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

In other words- barring any disqualifying events your child should be fine. For all intensive purposes it was like she was never enlisted.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

TJW815 wrote:In other words- barring any disqualifying events your child should be fine. For all intensive purposes it was like she was never enlisted.

intents and purposes

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
TJW815 wrote:In other words- barring any disqualifying events your child should be fine. For all intensive purposes it was like she was never enlisted.

intents and purposes

:wink:
Yeah yeah yeah, that's why I have you proof emails I send to city officials lol
wolfie_47

Post by wolfie_47 »

Thanks guy's for helping set her mind at ease it is very much appreciated! :D