Did not need a passport photo when I renewed

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Did not need a passport photo when I renewed

Post by djthomas »

But again, that's still a silly process. Even if you're going to make the person come back to get the license, take the photo at the time the application is accepted. All the equipment is sitting right there and a photo takes what, 20 kB on disk? There's no reason everything except completing the background check and printing the plastic couldn't be handled on the first visit.

It amazes me that Cuyahoga County of all places had a more efficient way of completing a process that the sheriff personally despised.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

djthomas wrote: Gotta love the inconsistencies in what's supposed to be a state-wide process.
^ This. +1.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TSiWRX wrote:
djthomas wrote: Gotta love the inconsistencies in what's supposed to be a state-wide process.
^ This. +1.
They must learn that from Columbus. I have it on good authority that the State Taxation folks use more than one location to process bills sent in from retailers like cigar shops. And, guess what? The individual offices don't communicate with each other in an efficient manner. So, sometimes the main branch thinks the retailer missed paying, so without confirmation from their annex site(s), send out a nasty past due letter, including a hefty fine.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

TSiWRX wrote:
^ This. +1.
I am going to "LIKE" this!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djthomas wrote:But again, that's still a silly process. Even if you're going to make the person come back to get the license, take the photo at the time the application is accepted. All the equipment is sitting right there and a photo takes what, 20 kB on disk? There's no reason everything except completing the background check and printing the plastic couldn't be handled on the first visit.

It amazes me that Cuyahoga County of all places had a more efficient way of completing a process that the sheriff personally despised.
I agree, but keep in mind the second photo is written into law. For 10+ years, everyone had to list every address since they were 18 on the application. Why? It was written into law because someone thought it was a good idea. We gave the AG the power to make the application and the first change he made was eliminating that entire section as he saw it served no purpose.

If we tack it on to a bill requesting the photo requirement be removed because there is no logical reason for it, then we would probably succeed. Until then, it's required but some sheriffs have seen the silliness of it and decided not to follow it, probably for the fact they don't want to store more paperwork than they have to.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

On "Day One" of the CHL application process, way back in April of '04, if a sheriff didn't have the forethought to take a picture themselves, how would they eliminate a name match during the background checks if they didn't know what the applicant looked like?

Imagine that poor fellow, John Smith, applying for his CHL. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:On "Day One" of the CHL application process, way back in April of '04, if a sheriff didn't have the forethought to take a picture themselves, how would they eliminate a name match during the background checks if they didn't know what the applicant looked like?

Imagine that poor fellow, John Smith, applying for his CHL. :wink:
With the exception of people like George Foreman who named all five of his sons George, it's usually pretty easy to differentiate between two people with the same name.
That's why you are required to provide name, address, and birth date. Even the six George Foremans living in the same house have different birth dates.
The only exception to this would be identical twins with the same name living at the same address.

As an aside. I was once chewed out by our new Executive Officer of the USS Lewis & Clark (SSBN 644) for getting a traffic ticket on the Charleston Naval base while I was under several hundred feet of sea water.
Some wise a** in Naval Personnel thought it would be funny to station two sailors with the same first name, last name, and middle initial on opposite crews of our boat.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Renewed license arrived in the mail yesterday.

Geauga is pretty darned fast. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TRDFurgesson

Post by TRDFurgesson »

I'm wondering if I will need a 2x2 photo for my first renew in Franklin County, my initial CHL is from Cuyahoga County. They say you don't need it for a renewal but I'm a renewal from a different county.
Thanks, Bobby

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/idpa/index.html

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

TRDFurgesson wrote:I'm wondering if I will need a 2x2 photo for my first renew in Franklin County, my initial CHL is from Cuyahoga County. They say you don't need it for a renewal but I'm a renewal from a different county.
Call them!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

djthomas wrote:
Cruiser wrote:The original intent of the applicant supplied photo was to verify that the person picking up the License was the same one that submitted the application and for background check. Never was it meant to be put on the License.
If so, that makes no sense. Just look at the picture you took in the office when the person applied. You know, the one on the license? And what about counties like Cuyahoga where you only go once because they mail you the license? If I was going to pose as someone else when I turned an application in, I'd bring a photo of myself to apply.

Sounds about as strong a security measure as requiring a signature to use a credit card.
Licking County told me that the picture I provided was for the background check, and the picture that they took was for my license
I asked them at the time why not use the one they took and they just shrugged and said it was the law,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

djthomas wrote:But again, that's still a silly process. Even if you're going to make the person come back to get the license, take the photo at the time the application is accepted. All the equipment is sitting right there and a photo takes what, 20 kB on disk? There's no reason everything except completing the background check and printing the plastic couldn't be handled on the first visit.

That's exactly how Hardin County Sheriff's Dept. handled it with my initial application. I called to make the appointment and specifically asked if I need to bring a picture. I was told,No we'll take one here.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
TRDFurgesson

Post by TRDFurgesson »

called this morning, renewal from another county needs a 2x2 photo.
Thanks, Bobby

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
TRDFurgesson

Post by TRDFurgesson »

1 day turnaround from Franklin County for a renewal!! My appointment was Wed @ 10am and they called me Thur morning to pickup. I suppose renewing 89 days early wasn't necessary.
Thanks, Bobby

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TRDFurgesson wrote:1 day turnaround from Franklin County for a renewal!! My appointment was Wed @ 10am and they called me Thur morning to pickup. I suppose renewing 89 days early wasn't necessary.
Is the expiration date on your new license 5 years after the renewal date, or was it extended 5 years from your old expiration date?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!