questions about juvenile record

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jts73

questions about juvenile record

Post by jts73 »

I was just recently denied my ccw for a juvenile offence 26 years ago it was felony vandalisim. I thought your juvenile record was sealed when you turned 23. at least that's what a lawer told me. just wondering if anyone else has heard of this ?
JediSkipdogg

Re: questions about juvenile record

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Juvenile records are not automatically sealed in Ohio except for a few circumstances. The sealing will be granted, but it must be applied for. More information can be found here on having a juvenile record sealed...

Sealing and Expunging Juvenile Court Records
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Juvenile records are not automatically sealed in Ohio except for a few circumstances. The sealing will be granted, but it must be applied for. More information can be found here on having a juvenile record sealed...

Sealing and Expunging Juvenile Court Records
If the court agrees to sealing the juvenile record, isn't there a time period before the OP could reapply ?

Reason being, he was denied on his original application ?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If the single juvenile conviction is the only thing on your record, you should be able to have your record EXPUNGED, not just sealed.

Once either sealed or expunged, you can re-apply...but you will have to wait a year after your last application.

Fix your record FIRST, then apply for your CHL.
MyWifeSaidYes
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Six Shooter wrote:If the court agrees to sealing the juvenile record, isn't there a time period before the OP could reapply ?
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If the single juvenile conviction is the only thing on your record, you should be able to have your record EXPUNGED, not just sealed.

Once either sealed or expunged, you can re-apply...but you will have to wait a year after your last application.

Fix your record FIRST, then apply for your CHL.
There seems to be an influx, of questions on this.
SweetWilliam

Post by SweetWilliam »

So I just applied for my permit last Saturday & the person taking the app said they process them on Tuesday & I should have it on Friday. Well today I get the mail & still no permit. So I call & the sheriff tells me I'm under review & it could take up to 30days. I asked her what the problem was & she said she wouldn't know until she gets my paper work back.
All I have is 1 DUI, trespassing charge, & a disorderly conduct. But after reading this post I also have a drug possession charge & drug abuse charge as a minor.
What are your opinions on me getting denied a permit?
I'm leagal to buy a firearm. In the past year I've bought 4 new with a background check.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

SweetWilliam wrote:So I just applied for my permit last Saturday & the person taking the app said they process them on Tuesday & I should have it on Friday. Well today I get the mail & still no permit. So I call & the sheriff tells me I'm under review & it could take up to 30days. I asked her what the problem was & she said she wouldn't know until she gets my paper work back.
All I have is 1 DUI, trespassing charge, & a disorderly conduct. But after reading this post I also have a drug possession charge & drug abuse charge as a minor.
What are your opinions on me getting denied a permit?
I'm leagal to buy a firearm. In the past year I've bought 4 new with a background check.
The drug offenses....

(d) The applicant is not under indictment for or otherwise charged with a felony; an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; a misdemeanor offense of violence; or a violation of section 2903.14 or 2923.1211 of the Revised Code.

Those fall under 2925. Now here's the kicker. You will most likely be denied because that is the law now. After Monday this section is added....

(5) If an applicant has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a minor misdemeanor offense or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act or violation that is a minor misdemeanor offense, the sheriff with whom the application was submitted shall not consider the conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication in making a determination under division (D)(1) or (F) of this section or, in relation to an application for a concealed handgun license on a temporary basis submitted under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, in making a determination under division (B)(2) of that section.

So if those were minor-misdemeanor drug charges, after Monday they will not apply. The question comes, will the Sheriff deny you based on the application date or let you slide and go by the issuance date.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
SweetWilliam

Post by SweetWilliam »

So the final desision will be made by the sheriff?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

SweetWilliam wrote:So the final desision will be made by the sheriff?
Technically the final decision is in the law and you should be denied because it all goes by the application date. If the Sheriff is nice, he could overlook that. I'd be more curious what you answered to 8A dealing with ever having a conviction for a violation of section 2925. However, I'd recommend you not answer that publicly because it could be falsification to obtain a concealed handgun license.

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Perhaps the smartest thing to do would be to withdraw the application and apply again on or after Monday.
SweetWilliam

Post by SweetWilliam »

I forgot about this post.
But I just want to say that I finally got mine 5 1/2 weeks later.
They didn't say what the problem was & I didn't ask.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Jts 73.....calling JTS 73....come in JTS 73.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens