Interesting Summit County renewal experience today....

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

doublestack

Interesting Summit County renewal experience today....

Post by doublestack »

My CHL is up for renewal in April, so I submitted my renewal application today at Summit County.

There was virtually no wait, only one person at the counter when I walked in.

For starters, when she (plain clothes employee?) asked why I was there, I stated "CHL Renewal", she immediately replied " you mean CCW?" with a not so happy demeanor. I said, "uh, yes". So then I handed her my application and what not, she looks it over and questions my passport photo, which I knew was not recent, but figured since I already had it I would take a chance. She said, she would take my application, but when I come in to pick up the license I needed to bring an updated photo. I said, "thank you, I appreciate that". She then asks for my DL and current CHL. Well, my current CHL was not in good shape, meaning, because I hadn't kept in in the sleeve, the photo and numbers had become illegible. I know, my bad, I actually posted in this forum about a year ago inquiring if that would be an issue if I ever got stopped, etc. Anywho, she immediately goes into " I can't even read this, didn't you keep it in the protective sleeve like Deputy (so and so) told you to". I think she is mad at this point. She went on to tell me how I could of gotten into big trouble, etc... Maybe so, maybe not. But at this point she already said she would take my app and just let me bring an updated photo when I pick up, so I wasn't gonna ruffle any feathers. She is doing me a favor at this point.. She then promptly closes/slams the window counter partition/door thingy and tells me to take a seat. A few minutes go by (I assume she is looking up my CHL based on DL or other info). Opens the counter back up and calls me up. We then finish the paperwork, give the check, take the fingerprints etc. Tells me they will call when it is ready. I thank her and leave.

To add to my experience, about half way home I realize I have my gerber paraframe pocket knife clipped in my jeans front pocket, and never took it out to put into the container with my keys to go through xray, nor did it set off anything when I passed the the metal detector. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone up on the 2nd floor noticed my pocket knife on me. Counting my blessings on that one, and will be sure not to make that mistake again.

Maybe she was in a bad mood, or I put her in a bad mood, not sure. I think the whole thing started off bad when I said I was there for my CHL renewal, and she scoffed and "corrected" me with "you mean CCW?".

Oh well, I will just anxiously await my renewal and then not have to worry about it for another 5 years I guess.
Glock 19 - Crossbreed Supertuck
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Interesting Summit County renewal experience today....

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

How long is your tail?

Can you still see it when you tuck it between your legs like that?

:P :oops:
MyWifeSaidYes
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

Ouch. I guess I deserved that one! :lol:
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Sounds like she was rude and unprofessional. Come to Wayne County for your next renewal, if your county borders ours. The deputies there are polite as can be, and hand you your license as you head out the door. They don't fuss about our pictures or anything.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Face

Post by Face »

Protective sleeve - we don't need no protective sleeve.

Must just be your county. Mine just hand it to you . With mine one of the deputies was passing by and grabbed it - goes "here you are". Just went with the wife when she picked hers up - same way.

My current one looks like new after 2 years, keep it in the wallet back to back with the DL.

- why do they even need a photo anyway- ???
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Face wrote:Protective sleeve - we don't need no protective sleeve

My current one looks like new after 2 years, keep it in the wallet back to back with the DL.
What he said! :) Mine looks just like the same stuff the Ohio drivers License is made from!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

She asked if you were there for your Concealed Carry Weapon? I might have responded that "no, having my weapon in the Sheriff's office would be illegal, I'm here to renew my Concealed Handgun License". :wink:

But that sort of talk tends to get me into trouble...
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... if the Sheriff told you to keep it in the protective sleeve does failure to do so constitute a failure to follow a lawful order by a LEO? :twisted:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

I don't know, maybe the newer CHL's are such that you don't need the protective sleeve anymore, I guess I will find out. I do a lot of running and always carry, I usually grab my DL and CHL and leave my wallet locked in the car. Thus, my CHL is frequently in/out of my wallet.
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WY_Not wrote:So... if the Sheriff told you to keep it in the protective sleeve does failure to do so constitute a failure to follow a lawful order by a LEO? :twisted:
Only during the time that one has been stopped for a law enforcement purpose.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I LOATHE those folks with rectal cranial inversion - they are (insert a bunch of colorful language) in my opinion, I only give them yes and now when I was in there last time (long story).
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

Got the call yesterday afternoon that my renewal was ready for pickup (only 8 days). Picked up today and encountered much nicer folks!
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I would have told her other counties doesn't give protective sleeves so maybe they need a better printer.

I thought a photo wasn't required on renewal, only initial application? I know I didn't take a new photo when I applied in 2013 and from what I can tell the ORC only talks of a photo with new applications.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I would have told her other counties doesn't give protective sleeves so maybe they need a better printer.

I thought a photo wasn't required on renewal, only initial application? I know I didn't take a new photo when I applied in 2013 and from what I can tell the ORC only talks of a photo with new applications.
I had a photo with me and they took one right there at the sheriff's office anyways..Wish they'd get this all coordinated.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I would have told her other counties doesn't give protective sleeves so maybe they need a better printer.

I had a photo with me and they took one right there at the sheriff's office anyways..Wish they'd get this all coordinated.
The one they take is the one they print on the card. The one you hand them is for their file. Besides it being a requirement in the ORC, I've yet to figure out what purpose it serves. My guess is someone didn't think that one through too much and in my opinion, that could easily be removed in a "clean up" bill.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.