Question to save me hassle. Thanks in advance

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DADZILLA

Question to save me hassle. Thanks in advance

Post by DADZILLA »

I have passed my CCW course and am ready to fill out my Sheriffs application. I have called the sheriffs Dept. in several counties for an answer to some questions but it seems no one can return my calls. My question is i have 4 charges on my record and am wondering if any of them would give me a problem.
Petty theft-Charge is 26 years old
Non violent resisting arrest- Charge is 25 tears old
DWI-Charge is 23 years old
DWI-Charge is 15 years old.
I have had no criminal violations for the past 15 years other than minor speeding tickets.

The second question is should I get these records sealed? I see that the law reads that the Sheriff will not consider sealed records in deciding to grant license? Am I understanding this right? I'm new to the site so thank you so much to whoever can give a clue on this.
BobK

Re: Question to save me hassle. Thanks in advance

Post by BobK »

Old those are old misdemeanors and will not affect your license.

I don't believe you can get them sealed anyway.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
DADZILLA

Post by DADZILLA »

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't think I had anything to worry about but wanted to bounce the question off people who know better than I do. I have read the laws and thought I was in the clear.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

DADZILLA wrote:Non violent resisting arrest-
I'm pretty much unfamiliar with the different criminal charges. I understand what "resisting arrest" is, but what is non-violent resisting arrest?

Is it like running around in circles yelling "NEENER NEENER, you can't catch me!" and blowing raspberries at the cops?! :lol:

"Copper got a big butt! Copper got a big butt!"
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Sevens wrote:I'm pretty much unfamiliar with the different criminal charges. I understand what "resisting arrest" is, but what is non-violent resisting arrest
OP didn't say what state those charges originated in. Other states have different terms and classifications. I'm guessing non-violent resisting arrest is refusing to cooperate with the procedures but not at such a level that rises to assault on a P.O.

Other oddly worded favorites of mine from other states include being charged with having the carnal knowledge of a juvenile and carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Just go through the questionaire and answer each question truthfully and carefully, paying particular attention to any and all references to the ORC
You can look up any particular sections you might not be sure about here:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you get hung up on a question, bring it here and we will figure it out
How's that??
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Sevens wrote:
DADZILLA wrote:Non violent resisting arrest-
I'm pretty much unfamiliar with the different criminal charges. I understand what "resisting arrest" is, but what is non-violent resisting arrest?

Is it like running around in circles yelling "NEENER NEENER, you can't catch me!" and blowing raspberries at the cops?! :lol:

"Copper got a big butt! Copper got a big butt!"
You need to charge for this kind of content.. I'm just sayn
Bhahahaha!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
DADZILLA

Post by DADZILLA »

I'm in Ohio & Non violent resisting arrest? It's just resisting arrest but I wanted to point out it wasnt a physical act of resisting arrest. Truth be told its what you get charged with when you get in the way of a cop chasing someone else and he runs into you. I kid you not that's exactly what happened. I was twenty and a party got raided due to a fight on the front lawn. They just started grabbing people and figuring out charges after the fact. I pleaded NC as the path of least resistance, paid $36.0 bucks in court costs and left.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

DADZILLA wrote:I'm in Ohio & Non violent resisting arrest? It's just resisting arrest but I wanted to point out it wasnt a physical act of resisting arrest.
That's fair but the reason for the confusion here is when asking questions like this every word is critical. Non violent resisting arrest is not a criminal charge in Ohio. Resisting arrest is. In fact, more important than that, it's important to know exactly what section one was convicted of as well. For example there are three offenses contained in the resisting arrest statute as it stands today (A, B, and C). I have no idea what the statute looked like 25 years ago though.

Depending on the subsection one is convicted of, resisting arrest ranges from a second degree misdemeanor to a fourth degree felony.

It's probably not as critical in your case but sometimes we get people come on here and say "I was arrested for domestic violence but pled it down to disorderly conduct" They then go on to tell the whole story of the event (it's irrelevant) but they have no idea which subsection of the disorderly conduct statute they pled to. That's a shame because some are disabling and others are not when the victim is a family member. Likewise one can be convicted of domestic violence in Ohio and not be a prohibited person, depending on the subsection. Confused yet?