Centre County PA

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

KenB22

Centre County PA

Post by KenB22 »

Had to drive across I-80 and stopped there to get my PA license renewed. Was in the door about 2:00pm and out the door at 2:15 with my renewed license in hand. Cost was $20. No fingerprints. None of my references were from PA. Only downside is that it's a hike to get there from Ohio. It's pretty much in the middle of PA like the name implies. Have to renew in person. No mail in applications but most everyone knows that by now. Just for reference it's probably 3.5 hours from Youngstown.

Drove by Mercer County on the way. They do not take renewals unless the original license is from there.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Centre County PA

Post by JustaShooter »

FYI, Crawford, Erie and Butler counties are also non-resident friendly and much closer to Ohio, though I don't know their policies on renewals where the original is not from their county. But since the application process for a new license isn't any different than a renewal, applying for a new license in one of those counties instead of a renewal wouldn't be a hardship IMO.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

KenB22 wrote:Had to drive across I-80 and stopped there to get my PA license renewed. Was in the door about 2:00pm and out the door at 2:15 with my renewed license in hand. Cost was $20. No fingerprints. None of my references were from PA. Only downside is that it's a hike to get there from Ohio. It's pretty much in the middle of PA like the name implies. Have to renew in person. No mail in applications but most everyone knows that by now. Just for reference it's probably 3.5 hours from Youngstown.

Drove by Mercer County on the way. They do not take renewals unless the original license is from there.
It's not their place do decide who they will do renewals for.

If you want to change their policy, I suggest you ask them what part of the law gives them that flexibility. If they stonewall you, give a heads-up to MyWifeSaidYes or Chuck, and ask them for help/advice.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:If you want to change their policy, I suggest you ask them what part of the law gives them that flexibility. If they stonewall you, give a heads-up to MyWifeSaidYes or Chuck, and ask them for help/advice.
BB62, have the Pennsylvania groups equivalent to OFCC had any luck with these troublesome counties in their own state? If not, I don't see how folks like us who don't reside, vote or spend money there on any regular basis could expect to get traction.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:
BB62 wrote:If you want to change their policy, I suggest you ask them what part of the law gives them that flexibility. If they stonewall you, give a heads-up to MyWifeSaidYes or Chuck, and ask them for help/advice.
BB62, have the Pennsylvania groups equivalent to OFCC had any luck with these troublesome counties in their own state? If not, I don't see how folks like us who don't reside, vote or spend money there on any regular basis could expect to get traction.
I read the post too quickly, didn't think it through, and thought the OP was referring to Mercer County, OHIO. Oops!

I will post the subject to the PAFOA website, see what they have to say, and report back.

OP: (doing my best Emily Litella) Nevermind!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Carol

Post by Carol »

I renewed my Erie County non-resident license in Crawford County last fall. Really friendly and quick.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

JustaShooter wrote:FYI, Crawford, Erie and Butler counties are also non-resident friendly and much closer to Ohio, though I don't know their policies on renewals where the original is not from their county. But since the application process for a new license isn't any different than a renewal, applying for a new license in one of those counties instead of a renewal wouldn't be a hardship IMO.

I used Erie, they will mail the renewal to you in the mail if you bring the application in person. Very easy to deal with easy to get to no hassle.
-Aaron
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

I should have made it clear. I went through Mercer County PA on I-80. It is closer than Centre County and just off the highway. For that matter, Centre County Sheriff is close to I-80 as well. My original plan was to renew in Crawford County but since I had to go through Centre County on my trip, I chose to renew there. There were 2 people there when I got there and 4 more came in after me. All in a 15 minute span.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Got a nice "it's about time" postcard from Sheriff Denny Nau at Centre County today.

Definitely indicates "you gotta be there".... But drop-ins seem to be welcome.

I'd really like to drive over there just to support him, but that's a long ride from Youngstown....

I can produce "local" references from a couple of people in a couple of PA counties, if that's an issue, too....

BTW, it appears that a PA Sheriff can refuse to issue non-residents, and can restrict them as he wants to. Might not be in the law, but I expect that the price of the gas to drive to Centre County would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the lawyer needed to get 'em to comply.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SMMAssociates wrote:BTW, it appears that a PA Sheriff can refuse to issue non-residents, and can restrict them as he wants to. Might not be in the law, but I expect that the price of the gas to drive to Centre County would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the lawyer needed to get 'em to comply.
It's about an hour drive from Youngstown to Meadville so I wouldn't bother with the drive to Centre County or the lawyer if it were me.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

JustaShooter:

Ought to be something closer, but yes, Meadville's handy enough.

During "Fall Foliage", Centre County might be a pleasant ride if the weather cooperates, but I think I have to get there before August :D....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

There are some good riding roads around there. I only know the roads N of I-80 since I ride up to US 6 then across to Meadville then home to CLE. PA 44 is a nice twisty road that is pretty remote. You can pick it up off US 6 and ride down to Jersey Shore PA if you take 880 SB about 15 miles N of I-80. PA 770 out of Bradford to PA 59 past the Kinzua dam is nice riding as well. If I could have waited, I probably would have done it over 3 days in the summer and taken my bike.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Just received a reminder post card from Sheriff Nau from Centre County regarding my upcoming NON-RES renewal. Unfortunately I'm opting for the closer Erie CO this time around.

A reminder postcard? What a classy and professional way to do business... Centre County rocks....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I have another 8 months until mine expires. How long before the expiration did you get the reminder?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Ray

Post by Ray »

gaptrick wrote:Just received a reminder post card from Sheriff Nau from Centre County regarding my upcoming NON-RES renewal. Unfortunately I'm opting for the closer Erie CO this time around.

A reminder postcard? What a classy and professional way to do business... Centre County rocks....
My PA license expire Aug. 7, 2014. I haven't received anything reminder from Centre Co............. However I will be going to Butler Co. for my renewal Aug 7, '14 to get them............ Hope I walk in & out with my new license with no problems. Wife will be getting her's renewal also even thou she still has 6 months to go, just don't want to make two trips for them........... This will be about a 10 hr round trip for us..............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member