Legal Again!

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Legal Again!

Post by deanimator »

I went down to Medina to pick up my renewed CHL yesterday (straight from work in Willoughby Hills, a SERIOUS hike).

My license expired at the beginning of October. I figured that it might take a while to process, but it took THIRTY DAYS to get an APPOINTMENT in Medina!

They also no longer allow you to pick up the license on Saturdays.

The good thing was it only took about a week and a half to process.

Good: efficient process, quick turnaround time

Bad: long wait time for an appointment, no Saturday pickup
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
ArcherAce

Re: Legal Again!

Post by ArcherAce »

What's the deal with an appointment?

Say what you will about lucas county, but I've always walked right in without an appointment.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

ArcherAce wrote:What's the deal with an appointment?

Say what you will about lucas county, but I've always walked right in without an appointment.
Ditto. I'm not a big fan of the appointment system.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Personally, I kind of like the option of an appointment. I applied at the height of the flood new applicants a bit less than a year ago and since I was going to have to take time off of work to apply, I wanted to know I'd be able to get in and get it done. At the time I was hearing about counties where folks would be lined up at 7:00am and they would only take the first so many applicants and turn away the rest. That was not an option from my perspective so even though I had to wait a bit less than 2 weeks for an appointment in Wayne County it was worth it for me.

That said, if you are so backed up that folks have to wait more than a couple of weeks then you have a problem that needs fixed. Wayne County seems to do a good job of it with appointments every 15 minutes, Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 3:30. The officer handling applications was very efficient, and had me in an out in something like 10 minutes and had my CHL out in the mail the next day. They've since added an online appointment scheduler, and I see that you can get an appointment as early as next Tuesday. Seems like other counties could learn from them - the only improvement I could see would be having them take walk-ins to fill available slots (no-shows, etc.).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I also like the option of booking a appointment on line....waited a couple of weeks, but when appointment time came, 9:00am I walked up to the counter, and by 9:05 I was on my way out the door.....cuyahoga mails them out on your stamp...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JustaShooter wrote:They've since added an online appointment scheduler, and I see that you can get an appointment as early as next Tuesday.
Medina also uses an online appointment scheduler. My only complaint was the backlog.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

deanimator wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:They've since added an online appointment scheduler, and I see that you can get an appointment as early as next Tuesday.
Medina also uses an online appointment scheduler. My only complaint was the backlog.
That's largely because Medina County is contiguous to Cuyahoga County, and Wayne County is not. Part of the "background check" is confirming the applicant's real home address. I know that some applications have been denied because they listed questionable Medina/Summit County addresses, and investigation indicated that the real home address was in Cuyahoga County.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Werz wrote:That's largely because Medina County is contiguous to Cuyahoga County, and Wayne County is not. Part of the "background check" is confirming the applicant's real home address. I know that some applications have been denied because they listed questionable Medina/Summit County addresses, and investigation indicated that the real home address was in Cuyahoga County.
Not an issue for me. I've been at the same address since '99, although I don't use it as a mailing address.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Franklin County moved to an appointment system, probably a good idea considering the volume of applicants. But it wasn't my taste so I searched for a touching county that did walk-ins and ended up going with Madison County. Nice, friendly experience.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

deanimator wrote:My license expired at the beginning of October.
Renewal related time gaps are a good reason to have a backup non-resident license from VA, FL, or UT that is on a different renewal cycle. That way one can still carry while waiting for OH renewal.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?