Getting a CCW permit at 18 with military?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DH131500

Getting a CCW permit at 18 with military?

Post by DH131500 »

Hey everyone, I've got a few questions I hope someone can clear up. I'm an 18 year old soldier currently doing my AIT training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. I'm training to be a 31B Military Police Soldier. I wish to get my concealed carry permit when I get home next month but I've been told I can't until I'm 21, even with military training on handguns. Is there anyway I can and how so? If it matters I am National Guard.
Thanks!
BobK

Re: Getting a CCW permit at 18 with military?

Post by BobK »

Sorry, you are not eligible for a concealed handgun license in Ohio, even though you are military. (Thanks for your service.)

From R.C. 2923.125
(D)(1) Except as provided in division (D)(3) or (4) of this section, within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, the license fee, the sheriff shall make available through the law enforcement automated data system in accordance with division (H) of this section the information described in that division and, upon making the information available through the system, shall issue to the applicant a concealed handgun license that shall expire as described in division (D)(2)(a) of this section if all of the following apply:

...(b) The applicant is at least twenty-one years of age.
You are allowed to purchase a handgun at age 18 under Ohio law when you are in the military, per R.C. 2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun.. However, it is illegal for anyone to sell it to you per R.C. 2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.. Furthermore, unless you change your residency to a state that allows an 18 year old to purchase a handgun in a private sale, there is no way for you to legally acquire a handgun while you remain an Ohio resident, since Federal law allows people to only purchase a handgun in their home state.

Yeah, the laws are screwed up and they stink. :roll: Sorry.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Getting a CCW permit at 18 with military?

Post by sodbuster95 »

BobK wrote:Sorry, you are not eligible for a concealed handgun license in Ohio, even though you are military. (Thanks for your service.)
What he said. Unfortunately, that's just how it is.

Welcome to OFCC and the Ohio Guard!
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.