Can I apply?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cheerio

Can I apply?

Post by Cheerio »

Hello,

I know this question has been asked many times before but my situation is slightly different. I took the conceal carry class in the summer of 2008. At the time the instructor told me that the class was good for 6 years. Meaning that in 6 years I could apply for my license. The reason that this was important is because at the time I was 15 years old. We were assured that there would be no problem for me to apply on my 21st birthday (January 2014). However,it appears that now the law has changed and one must apply within 3 years of taking the course. Was this something that was grandfathered in or will I be required to take the course again?

Thank you so much for your time.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Can I apply?

Post by Stryker74 »

Unfortunately, there is no grandfathering of the training with regards to a new license application. Your proof of competency certification has to be within three years of the date you apply.

I hate to say it, but your certificate from 2008 is no longer valid in terms of submitting an application for CHL. You might want to see if the instructor would recertify you for free or a reduced cost. Just make sure that you go through the entire class again to cover yourself against any liability in terms of the training portion.

Stay tuned though - take a look at HB 203. There are some proposed changes to the training requirements that might benefit your situation.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Stryker74 is 100 percent correct. Your 2008 class instructor was incorrect.
Cheerio

Post by Cheerio »

Thank you both for your timely response. Unfortunately I wish you would have had a different answer for me.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

techguy85 wrote:Stryker74 is 100 percent correct. Your 2008 class instructor was incorrect.
He was incorrect in 2008 - this particular part of the law hasn't changed a bit since then.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I was going to say if you can find him you should ask for your money back but.......................if you would have done your own research, the law is very is to find.

Take a new class, a lot has changed since 2008. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Cheerio

Post by Cheerio »

pirateguy191 wrote:I was going to say if you can find him you should ask for your money back but.......................if you would have done your own research, the law is very is to find.

I was 15 at the time, it was my mistake for not looking into it further. I do my best to keep up on the laws. Earlier this week I read and caught up on the 2013 laws. I didn't do too much research up to this point as obviously I was not old enough to carry. Also to add, the man who taught the class I took was one of the most reputable in Ohio.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cheerio wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I was going to say if you can find him you should ask for your money back but.......................if you would have done your own research, the law is very is to find.

I was 15 at the time, it was my mistake for not looking into it further. I do my best to keep up on the laws. Earlier this week I read and caught up on the 2013 laws. I didn't do too much research up to this point as obviously I was not old enough to carry. Also to add, the man who taught the class I took was one of the most reputable in Ohio.
Not trying to be combative but he obviously wasn't.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Is it the one that shot one of his students with a .38 a month or so ago?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well the OP could of misunderstood the instructor...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cheerio

Post by Cheerio »

I don't feel the need to point fingers. Obviously there was an error made, I will deal with it. Thank you for your input.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Hope everything works out for you.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cheerio wrote:I don't feel the need to point fingers. Obviously there was an error made, I will deal with it. Thank you for your input.
If we new the area you are from, we could recommend a good instructor for you.

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Cheerio wrote:I don't feel the need to point fingers. Obviously there was an error made, I will deal with it. Thank you for your input.
If we new the area you are from, we could recommend a good instructor for you.
+1

There are a lot of good instructors on this forum. You should check out the Ohio Firearm Training Classes section for some ideas.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mreising

Post by mreising »

It is helpful to update your profile information to include at least a general location, e.g., county.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.