Lost Licenses: Columbiana, OH - Mercer, PA

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ROME

Lost Licenses: Columbiana, OH - Mercer, PA

Post by ROME »

Well I just got back to Ohio on Friday after spending the last 6 weeks backpacking Europe. Almost a perfect trip minus "losing" my bag that contained my wallet, passport and memory card. Really the only thing that I really hated losing was the memory card since I had just taken it out of the camera that morning because I filled it up after 4 weeks (over 5000 pictures). :cry: Oh well...still got to experience it I guess.

Anyway, I never took my CHLs out of my wallet before I left so once I got back it was time to start replacing them. Got my drivers license Sat. and went to get my Ohio CHL today. I live in Mahoning County but I orginally got my CHL from Columbiana because of what I heard the wait times were at the time. After reading about how Mahoning is more pro-CHL now I thought about trying to get a replacement from there but decided it would be just as easy to go back to Columbiana. I had to first stop at the courthouse and pay the $15 for the replacement and then go to the jail to get my picture taken and pick up my license. Overall a very painless process in which the drive there took me longer than anything else. At both the courthouse and the jail they were very friendly and helpful. I am wondering if it is possible to get a replacement license from a different county than you got your original?

As for my Pennsylvania CHL I am still in the process of figuring out what to do. I've read that Mercer is not taking any new out of state applications. I gave them a call but the lady that I talked to was not sure about my situation since technically it was not a new license but rather a replacement. She transfered me to a different phone number and I left a message explaining my situation and asked that they call, so I will see what happens. I have read a couple people that have said that to get a replacement in PA they actually had to go through the whole process again. If for some reason Mercer wont process for me I will just go to Lawrence, it's closer anyway but I originally did not go there because they require the two references to be from Lawrence but that wouldn't really be a problem either. I will post an update when I gather more information.
mrjam2jab

Re: Lost Licenses: Columbiana, OH - Mercer, PA

Post by mrjam2jab »

ROME wrote:
As for my Pennsylvania CHL I am still in the process of figuring out what to do. I've read that Mercer is not taking any new out of state applications. I gave them a call but the lady that I talked to was not sure about my situation since technically it was not a new license but rather a replacement. She transfered me to a different phone number and I left a message explaining my situation and asked that they call, so I will see what happens. I have read a couple people that have said that to get a replacement in PA they actually had to go through the whole process again. If for some reason Mercer wont process for me I will just go to Lawrence, it's closer anyway but I originally did not go there because they require the two references to be from Lawrence but that wouldn't really be a problem either. I will post an update when I gather more information.

With the new system in PA, for some reason, they can't just "replaced" a lost permit. They will "revoke" (yeah, i know :evil: ) the current one and then have you reapply for a new one. At the same time, the renewal process is exactly the same as the initial process so this is no different.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I carry a photocopy of my PA license (legal). I have washed my wallet once and of course ruined the PA license. I just printed another..Won't be able to do that if I renew as I assume the new ones will actually be an ID card type.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
ROME

Re: Lost Licenses: Columbiana, OH - Mercer, PA - Butler, PA

Post by ROME »

Well I know this was forever ago but I kinda forgot. I felt like I should update it though incase anyone else runs into the same problem. I tried contacting Mercer County a couple more times and still never heard anything so I decided to give up there and move on. Instead of Lawrence County I decided to take a little drive down to Butler, PA (Butler County) and apply there only because I was headed to Cranberry anyway. I had the application and paperwork already filled out and copied for them and they took my picture and said they would call the references and if everything cleared they would send my license to me. I don't think they gave me a time frame but it took longer than expected, I want to say close to 3 weeks. I was surprised that they actually called both of my references, since the first time at Mercer they did not.

On a side note there was a very cute female deputy that was working the metal detectors when I went in the court house :D
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

So did you use non-resident references? Just curious because I like to try to keep track of which counties in PA issue to non-residents and do not require the two references to be PA (or even worse, county) residents.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ROME

Post by ROME »

Both were non-resident to Butler County. One was a PA resident and the other was an Ohio. The one from Ohio did not answer because he was in class and they never tried calling back.