KY course for ohio CCW

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lilhoss007

KY course for ohio CCW

Post by lilhoss007 »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a question regarding Ohio CCW courses. I won a silent auction at a fundraiser in KY for a CCDW course for two in KY. Will the KY course be acceptable to submit for an Ohio CCW license since I live in Ohio?

Thanks for your help,

Dan C
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: KY course for ohio CCW

Post by JustaShooter »

Since the Ohio requirements involve teaching Ohio law, I kind of doubt it. I'd sell them and use the proceeds to pay for an Ohio class.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Actually, Ohio requirements don't require teaching Ohio law.
Minimum Educational Requirements
The Attorney General does not endorse any particular form of training or instructor. However, a list of instructors certified by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) who wish to teach classes to the general public is available on the Attorney General’s website at http://www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. County sheriffs also may have a list of certified instructors who have provided contact information to the sheriff.
The law sets out minimum educational requirements that are a component of the various forms of competency certification as set forth on page 2. The total time required for training is 12 hours: 10 hours of instruction and another two hours of experience shooting a handgun.
The law requires at least 10 hours of certified training in the following matters:
• The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe
handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns
and ammunition;
• The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition
in a safe manner;
• The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude
necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
• Gun-handling training.
Additionally, you must have two hours of practical training, including range time and live-fire experience. The applicant also must complete an examination that tests his competency. The test must include a written section on the ability to name and explain the rules for the safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition. Additionally, the exam must include a physical demonstration of competency on handgun usage and rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun. It also must require a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.
As part of the training, applicants also must receive and certify that they have reviewed a copy of this publication.
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/File ... anual.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sorry, I was incorrect (I hate it when that happens!) - not sure where I got that idea.

However, there are elements that the class and certificate must meet that are Ohio-specific:
ORC 2923.125(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least twelve hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include all of the following:

(a) At least ten hours of training on the following matters:

(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

(iv) Gun handling training.

(b) At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

(2) To satisfactorily complete the course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section, the applicant shall pass a competency examination that shall include both of the following:

(a) A written section on the ability to name and explain the rules for the safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(b) A physical demonstration of competence in the use of a handgun and in the rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun and a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.

(3) The competency certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall be dated and shall attest that the course, class, or program the applicant successfully completed met the requirements described in division (G)(1) of this section and that the applicant passed the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section.
(Emphasis mine.)
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I team teach with an attorney, so Ohio Concealed Carry Law is always covered in our classes. I think any instructor who does not cover the important points of Ohio Concealed Carry Law effectively does a disservice to his students. By effectively, I mean have someone cover that portion who is knowledgeable about that law.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Tweed Ring wrote:I team teach with an attorney, so Ohio Concealed Carry Law is always covered in our classes. I think any instructor who does not cover the important points of Ohio Concealed Carry Law effectively does a disservice to his students. By effectively, I mean have someone cover that portion who is knowledgeable about that law.
Agreed, and my recommendation that the OP sell the KY classes and use that money toward an Ohio class still stands.
NRA Life Member

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I absolutely go over the laws with the caveat that I am not an attorney. I read and everyone gets a copy of the Attorney General's Handbook and they are told to write down ORC 2923.11 in their notes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

To answer your question directly if the KY course could be used to obtain your OH Concealed Carry License the answer would be no. KY only requires an 8 hour course of instruction broke down as 6 hours of class and 2 hours of range time. Ohio requires a 12 hour course so the KY class would not be considered a qualifying course for Ohio. Also the KY breakdown of what is required to be included in the class does not cover all of what Ohio includes. It would be a good class for training purposes but unfortunately it will not qualify you for your Ohio CHL.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
mreising

Post by mreising »

It really depends on the instructor teaching the KY course. As has been mentioned, KY only requires 8 hours, but I know of at least one instructor who teaches a 12+ hour class including what is mandated to be covered for Ohio (I don't know if he addresses the law) and his certificate has the instructor statement attesting that the course meets the Ohio requirements. My suggestion is to ask the instructor what is covered and if it meets the OH requirements. My guess is that if he is teaching near Ohio he probably covers, or at least offers, Ohio specific training.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums. Please consider adding your general location to your profile so people can sometimes respond with more specific answers to questions. Also, consider supporting OFCC by becoming a site supporter.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.