CCW application question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

zippo

CCW application question

Post by zippo »

I have a question about the ccw application process.

I just recently had my court record sealed for a felony conviction that happened over 42 yrs ago. This removal of disability will allow me to purchase a handgun and hopefully obtain a ccw license.

My question is, should I provide a copy of the removal of disability court papers when I apply or should I not say anything?

All help is appreciated. :D
djthomas

Re: CCW application question

Post by djthomas »

I would take a copy at the time I applied and ask the clerk what they would prefer. You can truthfully answer "No" to questions 7 and 8. Your conviction WILL still come back on your BCI check it will just be noted as sealed (if BCI proceeded the paperwork correctly).

There is no requirement that you provide supporting documentation at the time you apply but if there are any discrepancies in the files of BCI or the court of record it will cause delays while the sheriff researches it. You might potentially have to make another trip down to provide a copy of the order.

Someone I know applied in Cuyahoga and the clerk glanced at the sealing order and wrote "SEALED", the offense, date and court information on a sticky note and put it on the application but did not retain a copy of the order. She said that would refresh her memory in case there were any problems when the prints came back. He was approved a few weeks later without issue.

You should be approved either way so it really comes down to your preference for avoiding potential delay.
zippo

Post by zippo »

Thanks for the reply djthomas, I think I will provide a copy of the documentation just to be on the safe side.
zippo

Post by zippo »

Just a follow up:
I went to purchase a handgun on Saturday, filled out the form, a few minutes later the clerk came back and said the transaction was delayed and said they would contact me in three working days with the outcome.

Since my record was sealed I was under the impression there wouldn't be a problem, can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks