Cuyahoga County Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bwana49

Cuyahoga County Renewal

Post by Bwana49 »

Anyone have an idea why it takes so long for a renewal in Cuyahoga County? Had an appointment July 1 and still haven't heard a thing on July 26. I called and was told it will take till Aug 15. Are these people nuts?
pirateguy191

Re: Cuyahoga County Renewal

Post by pirateguy191 »

By law, they have 45 days to issue. It seems as though Cuyahoga and Summit don't mind using all the allotted time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
45Automatic

Post by 45Automatic »

Got mine back in a week, but that was a while ago.
“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bwana49-

I would recommend looking up the laws in the largest city in your county. You can usually find these by going to Google or Yahoo and typing in the name of the city followed by the word 'ordinances'. Any result that mentions 'codified ordinances' should work.

Check to see if they have any laws that restrict firearms ownership, require registration or gun ownership cards. Also look for any laws that ban 'assault weapons'.

Since all these type of laws are in direct violation of state law (ORC 9.68), if you find any, that city doesn't like you (as a CHL holder).

Since the county sheriff in most places shares the opinions of those in the largest city, the sheriff wouldn't like you either.

If you DON'T find any of those invalid laws still on the books, then the sheriff is probably just busy.

Let us know what you find!
MyWifeSaidYes
Bwana49

Post by Bwana49 »

Do I have any recourse other than waiting the 45 days at the mercy of Cuyahoga County. Ridiculous that it should take longer than 2 weeks.
GunGirl7

Post by GunGirl7 »

I live in Cuyahoga County and was told horror stories so i went to Medina County...def worth the little bit of an extra drive...very efficient and friendly
Carrie
Bwana49

Post by Bwana49 »

Well, I wish I'd gone to Medina County for renewal. I'm not even looking in the mail for my renewal anymore. 45 days comes up Aug 14 and I'm betting I end up calling. And I'm willing to bet it was issued long ago but they failed to notify me.

If not here by Aug 14 I want my money back. I went through this same nonsense years ago with the city of Cleveland when you needed a permit to own a pistol. It sat in the justice center for 30 days and I was never notified I was approved after 2 weeks.

This is total nonsense, I have no record, I'm a law abiding citizen, have a job and pay taxes.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Bwana49 wrote:This is total nonsense, I have no record, I'm a law abiding citizen, have a job and pay taxes.
I'm betting you also have a phone. :)
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Bwana49

Post by Bwana49 »

Does no good to call, I did it twice and was told not to even call back till 45 days after applying.

Now the good news . . . it showed up today in my mailbox. Here's the part that makes me mad. The license was issued on 7/24/13, which would mean it took 24 days to issue it. Not bad but why it took so long from than is a mystery.

Anyone facing renewal may want to go to another county.