From CBus, needing PA non-resident

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

From CBus, needing PA non-resident

Post by Sevens »

Here's my most recent experience.

I got my Ohio CHL in 2008 and got Florida at the same time. FLA was expensive, but it was just about as widely recognized as any license in addition to Ohio, and it was good for 7 years so I went for it. At the time, PA was offering non-resident licenses, and a very FEW counties in PA were actually offering it entirely through the mail. Most of us know that Centre County was -the- place to get your PA non-resident.

Well, I didn't bother...because Florida got me PA carry. And of course that came grinding to a halt recently when PA elected to refuse carry licenses from any state where you couldn't claim residency. I have no ties to Florida, so PA became a no-carry state for me overnight. Which sucks, because I go to PA at least a couple times each year. :( And with PA's revamping and supposed re-organizing and "bringing everyone up to date and online", getting a non-reasident PA license was no longer available in any county through the mail.

So now I'm left with figuring out which county is the best one to drive to, and you've gotta do your homework here because it's ridiculous to drive a couple hundred miles for anything other than a "sure thing", I'm guessing we can agree, yeah?

Fayette County has gotten good reviews in a thread or two here and also on the PAFOA forums. And the drive from central Ohio seemed reasonable. So I called them. That's when the run-around started. You get an answering system right off, and then you have to punch in an extension to get to firearm licensing... only to get another recording. Took me four tries over two days to get someone at Fayette County to answer the phone and he was unfriendly and suggested that I go to Butler County.

It seems that even though PA State Law has all the guidelines for this process specifically spelled out, each county just does whatever they wish to do... :roll:
Ridiculous. But I don't pay taxes to PA, and I don't have a voice. But I took his "friendly suggestion" and called Butler County and the gal who answered their phone was friendly enough.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: From CBus, needing PA non-resident

Post by Sevens »

I made the trip today (215 miles one way, I think it was) and I arrive during their lunch hour, but that wasn't a problem. Parking was easy, but I did have to enter a municipal building that housed all the county courts, and they had the full security at the door. Put ALL my stuff through the scanner, then walk through the body scanner just like the airport. It did NOT like my empty IWB holster so I got wanded, but the Deputy was friendly and when I told him that it was likely my empty holster, he sent me through with no problems.

The building was a maze... elevator was close, take it to the 3rd floor, following a long series of paths and hallways to this grand old staircase back down, and down a quiet, lonely hall to a very small Sheriff's office. The gal helped me right away. (the place smelled like Chinese take-out) I had already printed out an application that I had d/l'd, and it wasn't the greatest "quality" of a printout, but she didn't mind. I had also already filled it out except for the signature & date, which I did in front of her. I had also brought my own copy of my Ohio CHL, but I got the impression that they would have taken their own copies had I not done that. She needed my app, Ohio CHL, Ohio driver's license and twenty bucks... cash, check or money order. I gave cash.

She took my photo with the camera and then specifically told me that they would be calling the two references I had listed on my app and once they'd done that, my non-res PA license would be mailed to me. She said 2-3 weeks, typically.

Butler County does -not- require that your two references be residents of Butler County or even of PA -- many PA counties do require that. :x

Was a long trip. Would have liked to walk out with the license in hand, and I'm sure some counties will do that, but not Butler. I hope to update with news that my license was received.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

That's good to hear. A friend applied while we were in PA last month, because he had called ahead and they told him they would issue one. Until we got there and he had paid, then they told him it would be about two weeks, and he had to drive back to get it. They wouldn't even mail it if he paid. He cancelled his application, as we were 6 hours from cbus, and he wasn't about to drive back for it
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I wonder if they'll issue one to me... Especially if I call and ask for the application in Braille. :lol:
I could have some fun with this.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have heard (or read, rather) that some counties will issue on the spot. While I was there, she did call whoever runs their back ground checks and it came back clear, but it was after that call where she told me specifically that they would call my two references before issuing.

I am listed on the reference to two current PA non-res license holders and I never got a call from them, but both were Centre County, through the mail, before the change-over in the system.

I believe or maybe just wanna hope that some counties WILL issue a non-res license all in one fell swoop. I was led to believe that Fayette County was one of those, but the turd on their phone when I called was enough of a deterrent that I didn't want to waste the drive to try. In my original plan, Somerset County (due east of Fayette) was to be my back-up, but I can't say I know any details of success there.

Here is the website for Butler County:
http://www.sheriffofbutlercounty.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know if this will help a lot, but in my recent experience... your map & GPS will tell you to exit I-79 at 228 to PA-8, but that route is WAY congested and is filled with intersections, traffic lights and is a very monotonous drive. Instead:

Exit at 528/Lindsey Rd and take 528 east/north to 68 and take 68 in to Butler. That's the route I took OUT, and that's how I'd go again if I had to.
mreising

Post by mreising »

My son did his renewal in Centre County in June. He had been expired for at least a year because of deployments but he was in town in June for my wife's memorial service and was driving back to CT through Centre County so he stopped to see about a renewal. They did it on the spot; it took about 20 minutes because they wanted cash or check and he didn't have a checkbook with him and he only had a hundred dollar bill so he had to go get change. He got there right at opening (8 or 8:30). I had previously emailed Sheriff Nau and he replied that I could update my license to the hard copy w/photo the next time I am in central PA and that they would do it on the spot and renew for the full 5 years even though I'm not due for renewal for a couple more years. They seem to still want to serve everyone. BTW, the references cannot be relatives, other than that he is good with anyone from anywhere.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Sounds to me like Sheriff Nau understands who the good guys are, and is doing every thing in his power to support us.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Thanks for that report, mreising. Looks like that's where I'll be headed in a couple more years. Hope he's still around then!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
eugene

Post by eugene »

Anyone used Washington or Fayette county? I drive through PA but take I79 down into WV. Don't stop n PA much but last trip my daughter had to go and we had the camper so I just lifted and tucked my shirt so I was OC'ing the few steps to walk her around to the camper to use it.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

If you read my initial post you'll see that Fayette county was where I originally planned to go.
Sevens wrote:Fayette County has gotten good reviews in a thread or two here and also on the PAFOA forums. And the drive from central Ohio seemed reasonable. So I called them. That's when the run-around started. You get an answering system right off, and then you have to punch in an extension to get to firearm licensing... only to get another recording. Took me four tries over two days to get someone at Fayette County to answer the phone and he was unfriendly and suggested that I go to Butler County.
Fayette County might be a good choice, and closer for folks coming from the Columbus area. However, it's a pretty wasted drive if you get all the way there and find that they don't care to issue non-resident licenses any more. Or the may require that your two references have Fayette County, PA addresses... which some counties in PA are known to do.
mreising

Post by mreising »

eugene wrote:Anyone used Washington or Fayette county? I drive through PA but take I79 down into WV. Don't stop n PA much but last trip my daughter had to go and we had the camper so I just lifted and tucked my shirt so I was OC'ing the few steps to walk her around to the camper to use it.
If I remember correctly, the PA license is a license to carry a handgun, not specifically concealed but carrying either way, there may have been a problem with your approach, but others with better knowledge of PA laws may chime in.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
eugene

Post by eugene »

Sevens wrote:If you read my initial post you'll see that Fayette county was where I originally planned to go.
Sevens wrote:Fayette County has gotten good reviews in a thread or two here and also on the PAFOA forums. And the drive from central Ohio seemed reasonable. So I called them. That's when the run-around started. You get an answering system right off, and then you have to punch in an extension to get to firearm licensing... only to get another recording. Took me four tries over two days to get someone at Fayette County to answer the phone and he was unfriendly and suggested that I go to Butler County.
Fayette County might be a good choice, and closer for folks coming from the Columbus area. However, it's a pretty wasted drive if you get all the way there and find that they don't care to issue non-resident licenses any more. Or the may require that your two references have Fayette County, PA addresses... which some counties in PA are known to do.
Was a while between reading and registering and getting approved, I should have went back and read it again.
eugene

Post by eugene »

mreising wrote:
eugene wrote:Anyone used Washington or Fayette county? I drive through PA but take I79 down into WV. Don't stop n PA much but last trip my daughter had to go and we had the camper so I just lifted and tucked my shirt so I was OC'ing the few steps to walk her around to the camper to use it.
If I remember correctly, the PA license is a license to carry a handgun, not specifically concealed but carrying either way, there may have been a problem with your approach, but others with better knowledge of PA laws may chime in.
The NRA travel guide boom says OC is OK and an out if state licence may conceal while driving but not once you wait the vehicle.
mreising

Post by mreising »

eugene wrote:
mreising wrote:
The NRA travel guide boom says OC is OK and an out if state licence may conceal while driving but not once you wait the vehicle.
That's right, I forgot about the out of state license limited recognition.

Mark
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

UPDATE:

The nice lady working the counter at the Butler County Sheriff's Department lied to me! :P
After accepting my application and taking my $20 and issuing me a receipt, she looked me directly in the eye and told me in a very 'matter of fact' kind of manner that "now we will be calling your references on this application before we issue the license, so you can expect to see it in the mail in 2 or 3 weeks."

So it was an awfully nice, and I mean quite warm & fuzzy when it arrived in Wednesday's (July 31) mail. Because you see... I left on Thursday at noon to make the 412 mile drive to my buddy's cabin in the mountains north of Williamsport, PA, where I visit once or twice every year. For those of us keeping count, that was to my door through the USPS in 8 days from Butler County. 8)

So instead of having to go there for the first time since 2008 without the ability to carry concealed - I was able to make the trip just as I have for the past buncha years. And while going on several excursions away from the cabin -- three times out in to the wild (with a gang of children with me!) and once in to town, I was happy to be dressed as I usually am.

To celebrate this small victory, I even drank a beer -- while armed -- at a restaurant -- which is legal in Pennsylvania. Frankly, I've never felt the "need" or even desire to do such a thing, but it just seemed appropriate on this trip. (FWIW, a Blue Moon draught washes down a killer Reuben awfully well.)

Oh yeah... how did she lie? Well, neither of my two references got any manner of a phone call or were otherwise contacted in any way.
YAY, Butler county. 8)